2 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Paragraph Spacing in List Styles (Word 2002)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by browningj on 26-Jun-06 08:47. I used to be able to add paragraph spacing into numbered list styles in Word 2000 but it does not seem to be available in Word 2002.)</P>Hello Word Gurus,

I don't seem to be able to save paragraph spacing with a numbered list style. I would like to have 6pt space before each list item but this feature is greyed out in the styles format menu. When I try to update my list style with the new paragraph formatting I have applied in the document, it doesn't get saved. What am I doing wrong or is there something I am missing here?

Also when I try to apply or re-apply the style to selected text that may have the various outline numbering levels applied, Word chooses to strip out these levels and return all the text back to the first level. Is this a bug? or am I doing this the wrong way too.

Regards,

Jocelyn

I look forward to a response.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Paragraph Spacing in List Styles (Word 2002)

I wouldn't use list number styles for outline numbering. Outline numbering with the list number style is applied on top of the style definition, so it is removed if you reapply the style, or reset paragraph formatting. Instead, use the Heading styles, or design a set of custom styles, one for each level. See Shauna Kelly's How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word document. That would solve the problem with paragraph spacing too. I don't see that problem, however.