3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

copy&paste without formulas (excel2003)

hi all,
    say you have a data sheet with conditional format and you want to do copy and paste operation but without including the conditional format formula,only the cell format, how can you do that.
    tia
    TIA
    dubdub

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: copy&paste without formulas (excel2003)

Do you mean that you want the pasted cells to be formatted the same way as the original cells looked with conditional formatting applied? That wouldn't be easy, I think. You'd have to create VBA code that loops through the cells and analyzes the format conditions for each cell, compares them to the cell value and determines which formatting to apply.

If you only need a "picture" of the cells, it's easier: copy the cells, move to the destination, then hold down Shift while selecting the Edit menu. The Paste and Paste Special commands will change to Paste Picture and Paste Picture Link. The result will look exactly like the original cells, but it is a picture, you cannot edit the cells.

Thanks

If you want to copy the formatting and remove the conditional formattiing equations, you can do it in 2 steps, copy and paste will copy the formatting, then remove the conditional formatting and the only the explicit formatting will remain.

If you want to copy and convert the explicit formatting to what is active for the conditional formatting then you can try Allen Wyatt's "Excel Tips" which has some code for Removing Conditional Formats, but Not the Effects

Steve

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi HansV & Steve,
    what I want is copy a large number of cells 10 columns by 2000 rows in sheet-1, in these cells i have conditional formating equations applied to certain cells,then I want to paste it into sheet-2, in sheet-2 i still want to maintain the conditional format effect but remove the equations.

Reading both replies it seems i need the macro solution that will remove the equation and keep the effect.
    thanks.
    TIA
    dubdub

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, you will need Alan Wyatt's code. There is no "simple" method to do what you want.