3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Normal.dot (XP SR3)

Something pesky has begun to happen on my system.
    I have two computers that both use a version of normal.dot located on computer y.
    This has worked unproblematically for a number of years.
    Recently, however things have changed:
    If one computer amends normal.dot for any reason, while the other one does not have Word running, then when the second computer opens Word and tries to close it again, without itself having touched normal.dot, it gets the message 'changes have been made that affect the global template normal.dot. Do you want to save these changes?' . It can only stop getting that message box if it clicks 'Yes'. But then the first computer starts getting that message every time that normal.dot is opened.
    There are issues about this message box that are well documented: add-ins, Norton Antivirus and so on. They don't seem to apply here--it's something about two computers wanting to use the same template--something which has only started to be operative in the last few weeks. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Normal.dot (XP SR3)

I don't know the cause or solution, but I would never share Normal.dot between users or computers. I'd give each user on each computer an individual copy, and if necessary schedule a synchronization.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks very much for this

Philip

Thanks

Word doesn't normally detect that Normal.dot has been changed if it is changed while Word is closed.

Perhaps, though, when the second session of Word accesses Normal.dot, it is seeing unsaved changes. If the user who changed Normal.dot has not saved the changes -- either by exiting Word or by using File>Save All (accessed by holding Shift when clicking File), he or she should try saving the changes immediately as a workaround. If saving is not sufficient, perhaps it is necessary to close Word to finalize it.

If those scenarios don't pan out, Word might not really be closed, that is, there might be a hidden window of it running, perhaps in association with Outlook.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are either of the machines using Word as the email editor in Outlook?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for this help. I'm going to follow Hans's advice and unscramble this problem. But we don;'t use Outlook ... whether there's a hidden instance of Word open somewhere I'll just have to look.

best wishes