Lounger
    Thanks

Update lookup table using form? (Access/2000)

Ok, this seems like a rather simple question and it has been a while for me...
    Problem -- I have a main form to be used by a few people to enter information. From this form one field is a dropdown getting its information from a lookup value in a table. The table is normally constant values but new values are added. I can add them, however it doesn't update the list or dropdown? Is this possible to update/add to the dropdown from the form and update so that on the next record it was a new option?

If not any suggestion?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Update lookup table using form? (Access/2000)

To do this, you must set the Limit to List property of the combo box to Yes, and write code for the On Not In List event of the combo box.

If you search this forum for NotInList, you will find several examples, such as the thread starting at <post#=146,627>post 146,627</post#>.

Lounger
    Thanks

Ok I know I have done this in the past without this much trouble. I am now getting an error that the item isn't in the list... when I change to not limit to list I then can't type in the text needed, it reverts back to primary key which is just an ID (Autonumber) and can't be updated. If it is not too much trouble I think I need to start back at the table. My goal - I have one ID number record (multiple ID's when finished) that has about 4 fields that are unique and need to be entered. Those fields are included in the main table. I have 8 other tables that consist of repeating information within the ID number records (i.e., tblState, tblpart, tblplan, tbldi) and 2 tables that are linked to those tables. For instanct, ID number would have state, part, plan, and tbldi, but for each record in the tbldi there are 5 fields that will sometimes repeat and sometimes be unique. It is all relative to the ID number. What I have is working if the tables are populated, but I cannot update the records from the form as needed because I get the "the text you entered isn't an item in the list." I have tried not limit to list, but it then stores by primary key autonumber and I can't type the text needed. If this made sense, any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry, I don't understand your description. It might help if you could post a stripped down copy of your database and indicate to which combo box(es) you want to be able to add items. See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.