New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbnails (IE )

This is on my new Inspiron 6000.

I am experiencing a very annoying problem with Windows Explorer. I have a lot of directories that have a lot of jpgs and psd (photoshop files

Thanks

Re: Thumbnails (IE )

I use the "classic" (old fashioned) style of display and the thumbnail, even JPGs, do take a while to display. Generally, I default all folders to the Details view and then change the view to thumbnails if I want to see the thumbnails, rather than having them display by default.

I try to reduce the number of files in each folder by grouping them first by destination, then by day and then, if there are multiple "shoots," by subject. Still, there might be 200 files to render, and that takes some time.

And if you disable caching, Windows has to extract the thumbnails every time you view the folder.

Perhaps you can find a better browser for pictures than Windows' built in tools. For example, if you have Photoshop CS2, I've heard it has a great new file browser...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It looks like Jefferson's idea is the most sensible and speedy:
    <hr>...Generally, I default all folders to the Details view... <hr>
    Detail view is what I use in all folders and, when required, change an individual folder to thumbnail. This is especially true and helpful since I typically use something like IrfanView for viewing and working with graphics (thumbnails).

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I do as Al and jscher suggests.
    But I also use a image library or two, They come with most any image editing program and there is also Picasa from Google.com which does a good job.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Susanp

We had similar problems at work on a specific build of XP on some Dells. It appeared a Web developer decided to install a series of different graphics applications, photoshop, fireworks a couple of freeware jobbies. His thumbnails were all over the shop and we eventually found that he should remove a couple of the freebies applications and disable his thumbnail cache.....here is the link for the registry fix...usual warning [b]Do it at your own peril, back up your registry, don't do it unless you are confident in the registry etc etc

disable thumbnail cache
    Jerry