3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Automation Error (VBA Office 2000)

I have a template application that does not load as an add-in. It is attached during the creation of a project and is then opened and activated when a document is opened.

There is an AutoOpen/AutoNew/AutoClose triplet.

I have a user who has just installed on his home computer (working fine on his office) and with older documents (I assume created in Word 97, and I assume that open fine on his office installation), he is getting the following error (followed by a hang) when he opens a document that is attached to my template:

'-2147417848 (80010108)': Automation error
    OK

In the MSDN knowledge base I found the following definition of this error:

-2147417848 (80010108) The object invoked has disconnected from its clients.

Anybody ever scene this? Know what's caused it? Know a fix?

Thanks

Re: Automation Error (VBA Office 2000)

Hi Guy, I have one of your books from way back.

MSKB gives pretty wild results for searches of "The object invoked has disconnected from its clients". Some are inconsistent with the template working in some places and not others. There doesn't really seem to be a common thread.

Is it possible that you have a reference (or something "late bound") in the template to an object library that either is not present on the home machine or is a different version or depends on connectivity to something on your network? It doesn't sound like the right error message for that, but it's a place to start.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can't think of anything in the template that would be calling "late bound" or to any object library (other than WordBasic).

It's fairly vanilla code, though some of it is legacy from the wordbasic days.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Guy,

This may well be of no use to you at all- but it might be worth a try.

I've had that intermittently in Excel, when I've been running code to manipulate a lot of charts. And often, when I get it, I can't get rid of it.

It may be worth while to save the docs as HTML, close Word, open up the html docs, and save back to Word format.

W2K HTML (I think) keeps the macros and all formatting, and just may clean up the docs.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I want to clean a document I save it out as RTF. Accomplishes the same thing.

Perhaps I'll have him try and disable macros with the shift key while opening and save to RTF.

Thanks.

I still haven't found anthing clear on what's causing the error.

New Lounger
    Thanks

This probably won't help much but I too have seen similar behavior.
    One of the templates I have created at work (not loaded as an add-in) and which is used by over 300 people can SOMETIMES, on a very few machines, throw up the error message:
    "Run-time error 2147417848 (80010108)
    Automation Error
    The object has disconnected from its clients"

When this message appears, Word will hang and has to be killed off. We are using Word 2000 SP1 running under Windows 2000 and all templates are stored on a user's machine.
    This error, I repeat, is sporadic and it's driving me nuts trying to track down the cause. On most machines the template works fine.
    The only thing I can think of after exhausting all the usual suspects (corrupt template, corrupt Normal.dot, bad installation of Word...) might be related to the fact that this particular template uses a form with 5 tabbed pages in which all editing of the underlying document takes place - the underlying document is protected for Forms and is programatically protected/unprotected where necessary. I just wonder if somehow the controls in VBA forms can be slightly suspect in certain circumstances. Clutching at straws here, I suspect.
    If you ever got to the bottom of this, I would be very interested to hear.

Jeremy