Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Summing Every Other Column/Row (2000)

I have a very large worksheet (100 Rows By 1000 Columns). In every other column (say A, C, E, etc.) I have data in numerical format (i. e., accounting with no decimal places or dollar signs). In adjacent columns (i. e., B, D, F, etc.) I have data in percentage format. What I would like to do is sum all the non-percentage cells in a row in the first empty cell on the far right, and in the cell next to it, all the % cells. Any ideas for a shortcut?
    Thanks in advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Summing Every Other Column/Row (2000)

To sum columns A, C, E etc in row 1:

=SUMPRODUCT(MOD(COLUMN($A1:$CV1),2),$A1:$CV1)

and to sum columns B, D, F etc. in row 1:

=SUMPRODUCT(1-MOD(COLUMN($A1:$CV1),2),$A1:$CV1)

CV is column 100, adjust as needed.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. As uszual, it works perfectly. By the way, would you mind explaining how it works?
    Thanks again

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

COLUMN($A1:$CV1) returns an array of column numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 99, 100
    MOD(COLUMN($A1:$CV1),2) computer the reminders of these column numbers after division by 2: 1, 0, 1, 0, ...., 1, 0
    SUMPRODUCT multiplies these 1s and 0s with the values of the cells in a row (row 1 in the example). The values from odd-numbered columns are multiplied by 1 and hence included, and the values from even-numbered colums are multiplied by 0 and hence discarded. Finally, the results are added.

For the other formula, we use 1-MOD(COLUMN($A1:$CV1),2). This results in 0, 1, 0, 1, ..., 0, 1. In other words, the 1s and 0s are switched.