5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jukebox Software?

Went into a new watering hole a few days ago, and they had one of those spiffy Internet jukeboxes. Tried a couple selections, mainly to see how the touchscreen interface worked, and how fast the box responded when you made a pick. Got me to wondering: is there software that would let me do something like that for a "locally" stored music collection? I have a friend in northern Michigan who has no access to broadband service, but has a very nice bar constructed in his barn. I'd love to set up an MP3 jukebox for him.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Jukebox Software?

I'm not sure what hardware you have (touch screen?), but Windows XP Media Center Edition has some very capable "jukebox" functionality.

It even offers a separately-downloadable app that allows users to modify playlists with the remote control while keeping the machine otherwise locked down. It's very useful to allow party guests to create their own playlists during a party.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John!

GeeXboX is a very small, linux based media player. It has just recently (less than 1 week) been released at it's full 1.0 version.

I've used previous beta releases of the distribution, and fully intend to use it on my recently replace (made surplus) personal notebook computer.

It will play various media files, including OGG, MP3, and WAV. DVD, analog TV, digital TV, and internet/web radio too.

Maybe this would be something to check out?
    Christopher Baldrey

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you looked at more conventional music playing and music inventory management apps, such as MusicMatch Jukebox, or iTunes? When I'm working on my home PC I plug headphones in, fire up iTunes and select Party Shuffle mode, and zone out - unfortunately beer is not supplied by the Party Shuffle mode.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> Have you looked at more conventional music playing and music inventory management apps, such as MusicMatch Jukebox, or iTunes? <<

I use both of those, but I'd prefer something that doesn't require a keyboard and mouse to be sitting on the bar.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chris,

>> GeeXboX is a very small, linux based media player. It has just recently (less than 1 week) been released at it's full 1.0 version. <<

Read the features list, and I don't see anything about touchscreen support.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry, I didn't see your requirement for touch screen, however a touch screen is really just a glorified mouse input. It does take a few minutes of research, but configuration shouldn't be that difficult if this was a possible idea for the future.
    Christopher Baldrey

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chris,

>> I'm sorry, I didn't see your requirement for touch screen, however a touch screen is really just a glorified mouse input. It does take a few minutes of research, but configuration shouldn't be that difficult if this was a possible idea for the future. <<

I take it you're saying the program DOESN'T have touch screen capabilities now?

I was reading an article on in-car PC's just now at Tom's Hardware Guiide, and found the following: "You might be wondering why we don't just use Windows XP for the front end. The reason is that Windows was designed for high-resolution screens, and it is not very touch screen-friendly, as anyone with Windows XP on a Tablet PC will tell you." Sounds like the other suggestion to use XP Media Center Edition might be a washout, too.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure if it is touchscreen ready or not John. It all comes down to drivers compiled into the kernel that the distribution uses, and how the Xserver is configured for user input.

For a small amount of time, and a blank CD-R, it may be worth a try to see whether it would be a possiblity.
    Christopher Baldrey