New Lounger
    Thanks

Retrieve Word File (2003 SP-1)

Accidentally copied over a file with the same title. Is there any way to get back to the day the file was created (6-28-06) and retrieve it? I routinely copy and update data files between my PC and Laptop (using file-sharing) in order to have a back-up. This is how I created the problem. I copied the file from the Laptop to the PC which was an earlier date. I should have copied the file from the PC to the Laptop. Duh!!! Bingo, everything I did on the 28th is gone. Have no problem with deleting the file that I now have on both machines. It does have the same name, of course, as the file I copied over.
    I understand doing a system restore on the PC will NOT change current data files. Correct?
    Also, I do use an online back-up service but the PC was turned off because of threatening storms and the back-up was not done.
    Anything I can do to get the file back to the 6-28-06 status? Believe I'm doomed to doing it again but thought I'd ask the experts.

Thanks

Re: Retrieve Word File (2003 SP-1)

In the old days there were undelete/unerase programs that combed the hard drive for data and offered to put it back together into a file again for you. With a modern large hard drive, this might take longer to run than re-doing the lost work! However, you could consider it. Note that you can't do any other work on the computer without potentially filling the "erased" areas with new content, so depending on what has happened since the overwrite, it might be too late to get reliable results.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. Where are the undelete/unerase programs?
    B-t-w, is it true that a system restore back to the day of the correct file will not bring it back? What I read was that a restore will not change the data files as of the day the restore is done - those files will stay in tact. I gather that means the data files are not put back in place to the restore date.
    Haven't started re-doing anything yet so thought I'd ask again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

System restore only restores information about the operating system and applications. It doesn't do anything with data files.

Examples of unerase software:
    File Recover - Data recovery software to unerase and undelete lost files
    Undelete Software for Windows - WinUndelete
    Norton System Works includes - among many other things - an unerase utility/

Warning: if you download and install the software to the hard disk containing the deleted document, chances are you'll overwrite it. So you should ideally install the software on another PC, then install the hard disk with the document in that PC. I don't know if it's worth all the trouble.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again, Hans. I think you're right. The four-hours to re-do the document is a much better approach. One thing for sure, I will NOT make that mistake again.
    I was iffy about the system recovery approach and your assurance that the data files are not affected is what I needed to hear.
    Thanks for taking the time.