3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ZA 6.5 722 Install Problem

I have the following problem with Zone Alarm 6.5_722 on a new computer with Win XP Home SP2 Dutch version, and DSL connection:

The first part of the install goes allright. But when I restart the computer as required to finalise the installation, this does not happen. I cannot access the Internet (which I could before). When starting Zone Labs Security via Start|Programs I get the message (in dutch) for zlclient.exe "Cannot get access to the device, path or file. Possibly you don't have administrator's rights" (translated from dutch).
    What could be wrong? I have uninstalled and reinstalled already, including the advice from SlyFox from the Zone Labs User Forum. On my laptop with the English Windows version I have no problem at all. Can anybody give me some advice please?

When I startup in safe mode with networking I can start ZA allright.

Teunis

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: ZA 6.5 722 Install Problem

When you boot into normal mode is the user an administrator or restricted?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

The user has always administrator rights, since there is only a single password protected user account.

Teunis

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure I understood something. When you restarted the computer in normal mode you said "this does not happen." Did Windows start OK but the ZA process did not continue? For you said you attempted to start ZA from the start menu and got the error message. Then, when you start the computer in SAFE mode, are you also starting ZA in that mode from the start menu, and if so, does ZA seem to run OK, that is does it continue with the few "tutorial" screens that it normally brings up?

The reason I'm asking this is that I wonder if you possibly have one or more TSRs running that ZA doesn't like. Could you take a look at the other things that you normally load like virus protection, clock setters, clipboard utilities, etc. and maybe disable one or more, then try to start in normal mode to see what happens? I've never heard anyone here in The Lounge mention anything about a Windows non-English language problem with ZA, so I wouldn't think the problem is with your Dutch Windows, but who knows...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Big Al,

Sorry I was not too clear. I load a lot of standard TSRs but none different from my laptop where everything works allright. Incidentally my son and both daughters (for the latter two I installed ZA) who have Dutch versions face the same problem with 6.5_722 where before (6.5_714?) ZA started and behaved well. I'l follow your suggestions later, but have no time right now.

Regards, Teunis

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

I looked quickly at your first suggestion. Sounds interesting, but I don't have that older version he is talking about. If somebody has that one, please send it to me.

Your second suggestion I'll try it later tonight and let you know the outcome.

Regards, Teunis

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

As to your 2nd suggestion: the guy simply states that it is a well-known bug in 6.5 that he reported as part of the beta testing programmme and that ZA has not fixed until now. His advice was to stick to 6.1 until the bug has been resolved.
    So now I am going back to 6.1 (if I have it somewhere) and try that one.

Regards, Teunis

Thanks

Teunis,

That earlier version of ZA as well as others is available for download at:

BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Viking 33, Joe and Big Al,

I followed Joe's first suggestion and found a copy of 6.1_744_001 on my backup CD, which I installed.
    Everything works fine now, though I wonder what the real cause was.

Thanks all of you,
    Regards, Teunis