Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: navw32 looping hangs Access (2003)

I have renamed navw32.exe to disable it. Now the database file will not open at all. It now seems to need the NAV file as part of its startup!
    I changed the name back to navw32.exe and the database opens, but original problem is still there.

This does seem to be limited to this FE database only. I opened up a FE from a few weeks ago, linked to the same BE, and the problem does not exist. I am now sure that the "sandbox" security has caused this problem. Still have not got to check out what that was yet......

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't understanbd what is happening here. I can't think of a reason why renaming navw32.exe would prohibit opening the database.

Some info about sandbox mode can be found in How to configure Jet 4.0 to prevent unsafe functions from running in Access 2003 and Microsoft Office Assistance: Frequently asked questions about Access security warnings.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for those links HansV. I just got back here to provide a link that I found:

How to avoid Sandbox issues
    http://www.vb123.com/toolshed/04_docs/sandbox.htm

Excerpt:
    <hr>All Access 2000+ developers should upgrade their version of Jet 4 to Service Pack 8 sooner rather than later. Whilst developing, you should work with a special registration key called the Sandbox mode changed to the higher protection level of 3 so that a Jet Engine protection mechanism called sandbox mode is used at all times.
    <hr>
    I do know that the remote system also had a message that Jet Engine needed to be updated, was not updated, and the files had been converted from 2000 to 2002/2003 format before being sent to them. So they received an updated format FE database, opened it without the correct Jet Engine, and used it. Then that FE came back to my system that did have the correct Jet Engine updates, and I must have inherited some type of issue from that? And somehow this is triggering some type of antivirus search? The interface with NAVw32.exe makes no sense at all.

I just checked and found that I cannot open any Access database if NAVW32.exe has been renamed. This is not limited to the problem files that I first saw this on. I was getting bad performance, and stumbled across that fact that navw32.exe was looping.

I will check out the links you have provided, thanks ....

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, the clues are adding up, but the problem is getting worse.

If NAVW32.EXE is renamed, I cannot open Word documents, I cannot open Access databases, I cannot open Excel spreadsheets.

I get a message that my antivirus software is out of date, corrupted, etc.

I do have NAV installed on the XP PRO, SP2, but it is not actviated, not running. I am using AVG for AV protection. This has not been a problem until I brought back the Access database from the other system.

MS seems to be using NAV as some type of default AV tool. I have turned all Macro Security levels to LOW but still get same result. If NAVW32.EXE is renamed to itself, I don't get the message.

Could this be a result of a recent AutoUpdate from Windows in the past few days? Auto update is set for 3am every day.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: navw32 looping hangs Access - SOLVED (2003)

I have solved part of the problem.

I opened up NAV to confirm all settngs were disabled. But I discovered an option to protect Office Documents using an Add-In tool.
    This option is under OptionsOtherMiscellaneousEnable Office PlugIn. I removed the checkmark from the box.
    I can now open all my Office documents even if the NAV file is renamed.

I have no idea how this setting got activated. NAV is never opened/used.
    I do suspect that MS has taken it upon themselves to change a registry setting FOR me., but if that was true, I suppose others would also be complaining about this problem.
    Remember, just because you're paranoid, does not mean they are not out to get you.

I should call this one closed. Thanks for the help, learned a lot about Sandbox.
    But now I have to return to the original problem, a long delay when certain actions are done.
    I will probably open that problem up as new thread.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

navw32 looping hangs Access - SOLVED (2003)

A set of back end and front end databae files that were working fine were copied from my XP PRO to a another XP PRO. When opening on the remote PC, a prompt came up to enable Jet Engine sandbox? security. The option for YES was selected, and database appeared to load and run as normal.

Later after some changes, both files were copied back to my system, and loaded again, no prompts, all looked good. But now, when I try to make many changes, like modify a text field, Access hangs for many minutes. If I use navigation buttons and go from last record to New Record, that will trigger the problem.

I have a utility that shows me that my Access action has triggered navw32.exe to loop continuously!. This does not show up on the other system because NAV is not on that machine. Actually, although NAV is installed on this machine, it is not activated. I have run three antivirus files and no virus shows up.

What is triggering NAV to run? Can the option to reverse acceptance of sandbox security? Is there something I need to install on my machine to support this "sandbox"?
    I am now running off to research the "sandbox" item, it is new to me, but I was hoping a quick solution will be available here.
    Thanks for listening.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: navw32 looping hangs Access - SOLVED (2003)

I think the Office plug-in is enabled by default when Norton Anti-Virus is installed. It is known to cause many problems.