Super Moderator
    Thanks

Gmail attachments (thunderbird 1.5.0.4)

I use Gmail as my primary email address and use pop forwarding, and collect my email in Thunderbird. This work well, excepty for...

I am doing some work for someone at the moment who often wants to send me Excel attachments. Usually I do not receive the attachments and i usually think to myself: "How can she forget the attachments so often?"

A couple of days ago she really wanted me to get the attachment so she kept trying. At one stage she made it into a pdf and sent that. But to no avail I did not receive any of them. Eventually I gave her a different email address and bingo it arrived first time.

Later in the day, I logged into Gmail using my web browser, and sure enough all the attachments I had not received were all there, but they had not been sent on to me.

While this was going on I did receive attachments from other people. It was only her attachments that did not arrive.

Now I think I have just (partly) solved my own problem. This person uses Outlook, and the offending emails always come with a winmail.dat file. I have always regarded this as an irrelevance.

However i see here that the winmail.dat fiile can also include an unreadable version of the attachment.

This still does not explain why I only have the problem with Gmail.

But it seems that I can solve the problem by telling the sender to use plain text format for messages to me.
    Regards
    John

Thanks

Re: Gmail attachments (thunderbird 1.5.0.4)

So POP forwarding from Gmail works differently than ordinary POP mail. This suggests that Gmail is not just a POP server under the covers but is decoding the message on the server before forwarding. Or should I say, failing to decode the message...

Yes, either Plain Text or HTML format will solve the problem. It is only RTF/TNEF which causes this.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Gmail attachments (thunderbird 1.5.0.4)

Gmail won't let you send exe files as attachments, even if they are included within zip or rar files, so it must do more than simply send on these attachments.
    Regards
    John