Thanks

PSAPI.dll IE7b3 (IE&_b3)

I D/L and installed IE&_b3, and it "appears" to be pretty stable, except:

Whenever I try to access any item on the menu(s), I get the attached error.

MS EI support board told me it was a conflict in the PSAPI.dll, where an older version had gotten installed. That's strange, since the IE7 was the last thing I installed... ANYWAY:

I did a disk search for the file (as suggested on the MS board), and found several copies, all with different dates/times.

Now what? If that file is in the system32 folder, will all the other programs find it? And since, the system32 copy is NOT the newest, should I put the newest version in the system32 folder?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PSAPI.dll IE7b3 (IE&_b3)

You could rename the one in the System32 folder to PSAPI.old, then copy the most recent version you have into System32 and see what happens.

Thanks

Chuck,
    My System32 folder has a psapi.dll dated 8/4/04. There are 6 other appearances ( all Microsoft ) of this dll in other locations varying in age from 2003 to the latest that came with my last ATI update dated 6/7/06, version 4.0.1317.1

I would think IE7B3 would be using the latest version but Hans had the best suggestion in renaming and trying another version.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

Chuck,
    I also did a Google on "getprocessimagefilenameW" and got a number of hits with the most recent ones mentioning IE7beta.

If the renaming doen't do it for you, check them out. Some look promising others look like some "no nothing nerd" posted them. Screen out the obvious and try the most promising ones.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

Bob et al:

MS suggested that I rename ALL copies to psapiold.dll EXCEPT the two in C:WiNDOWSSYSTEMSYSTEM32 and C:WiNDOWSSYSTEMSYSTEM32dllcache, and then see if the programs that "wanted" it would look there...

That worked. So it seems all is OK now.

Thanks to all.

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks

Looking at the title bar of that error message, I wonder whether you have installed the SysTrayX program (http://www.systrayx.com/info.html) from XDESKSOFTWARE (http://www.xdesksoftware.com/index.html). If so, perhaps that company has some insight into the situaation.

Thanks

Jefferson:

I do use SysTrayX... and along with it, WS_FTP, and VirtualDrive. So anyone could have been an issue I suppose. Luckily that was resolved when I renamed them all, leaving them to re-locate to system32...

Now I'm having some (other) strange issue with Nelson E-mail Organizer, where all the emails in the View Pane end up being bright blue type on a dark gray background, but when opened they are black on white as normal.

I've written Caelo Software (www.emailorganizer.com) about same, so we'll see... in the meantime I went back to IE6, and all mail again appears normally, so...

Thanks,
    Chuck