New Lounger
    Thanks

delay in folder opening (windows xp)

Hi

I never had this kind of problem before. My new pc from Dell is giving me headache. There are folders that don't behave right.
    When I try to select a folder the window won't respond thus not selecting the folder. it takes about 10 seconds to highlight the folder and I can open it then. This doesn't happen to all the folders in the machine and only happens in the Dell. I have a folder called 'A' in an external drive. This folder opens and behaves normally in other machines but it takes a long time to highlight and open in the Dell.

Any idea what could cause this kind of problem?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: delay in folder opening (windows xp)

Does your external drive spin down? If I want to access anything with Windows Explorer on my C: drive, I have to wait for my external drive to spin up and become accessible.

But yours may be a different problem!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Apart from John Gray's reply, visit Troubleshooting Windows XP - Tweaks and Fixes. See if # 376, left hand side or # 157, right hand side help.
    You can also check whether your anti-virus program is causing delays, by turning it off temporarily (I don't recommend turning it off for extended periods of time!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John

Thanks for your message. The external drive thing was just an example. I think it's not a problem with the external drive as I have the same problem with a folder in one of the local drives in the box. I would think maybe I put too much stuff in one folder (with sub-folders) but that same folder opens fine in another machine.

Thank you again.

Songy

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Try setting the the Explorer display to "list or Details" mode. This will speed things up, as the icons and/or the thumbnails must be generated. Is the display the same on all computers that you have connected the external drive to?

Do these folders contain images,if so that may be why it takes so long.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply.
    Yep, the display settings are the same all across as 'list'. They do contain images but the problematic folder opens up okay in a slower and older machine. It's only the problem with this Pentium