5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2000 / TOC (Word 2000)

It is customary for legal documents to have an optional paragraph set within brackets, [ and ].

This usualy involves a paragraph that has a heading style applied to it that include an outline number. In the Customize Outline Number List, it's possible to choose "This paragraph only" from the "Apply to" dropdown. But, alas, that seems to apply the just-added leading [ to all styles of that heading level. That's the case about 9 times out of 10.

The alternative seems to be to "manually" create the outline number, using Ctrl-Alt-L to insert a ListNum representing the next level. But then it's necessary to mark the TOC using the TC field code. The problem here is that the number is converted to text.... and incorrectly. For example, 1. might convert to a).

Can anyone offer some insight on how to deal with this issue?

Many thanks,
    Richard Barrett

Thanks

Re: Word 2000 / TOC (Word 2000)

Hi Richard,

First, as you may know, Word's auto numbering is a major headache in law practice.

The only way you should be applying numbering is through styles, not the Ctrl-Alt-L or the Customize Outline Number list (unless you got to that list through a style modification list).

It sounds like you may have "automatically update styles" ticked on your heading style. You want to go through all of your styles and uncheck this. While it is useful when designing templates, it is one of the easiest ways to really mess up a document's formatting.

You may already know all of the following, but just in case, here are some links on paragraph numbering. While the page links may be more comprehensible, the newsgroup threads are worth reading - for entertainment if nothing else.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Numbering/WordsNumberingExplained.htm> Word's Numbering Explained</A> (mvps.org/word/FAQs/Numbering/WordsNumberingExplained.htm)

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm>How to Create a Template, Part II</A> (mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm)

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/numbering.htm>Legal Numbering</A> (addbalance.com/usersguide/numbering.htm)

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.microsystems.com/fra_sevenlawsofoutlinenumbering.htm>Seven Laws of Outline Numbering</A> (microsystems.com/fra_sevenlawsofoutlinenumbering.htm)

The following are discussions on the Microsoft newsgroups on numbering:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&th=9e790fa7ed2886b3,18&i c=1> Nightmare on ListNumbering Street</A>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&th=811287ebce8fc203,15&i c=1> The Joy of Lists</A>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&th=2350746054c838e,12&ic =1> Relinking ListTemplates</A>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=2168093ed1c9eaed ,6&seekm=muq2hs47vabsq381ngrm7fdmqj4s2e4ab2@4ax.co m#p> Outline numbering: restart doesn't restart</A>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=3a351382011420bf ,5&seekm=RXz39CAcCC$4Iwap@syntagma.demon.co.uk#p> Format Doesn't "Hold"</A>
    (above list compiled by Dave Rado, Word MVP)
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=bce07d7714769f5c ,6&seekm=531301c0eff3$8b23bb40$a5e62ecf@tkmsftngxa 07#p> Latest Numbering Discussion</A> See especially posting #3 which contains Dave Rado's concise instructions for setting up heading numbering.

Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Richard,

Generally I agree with Charles' suggestion to always use numbering linked to styles. However that doesn't address the issue of how to get the "[" (for an optional paragraph) to go to the left of the automatically generated number, nor how to get that into the TOC.

One thing you don't want to do is to try to achieve this through customization in the bullets and numbering dialog - as you've seen, this leads to unstable results.

Due to Word's difficulties with this problem, at our firm we tell the attorneys that they can't have the bracket to the left of the number; instead, an optional paragraph has the square bracket at the beginning of the paragraph text (or the heading text as the case may be), after the automatic number.

Surprisingly, the attorneys mainly accept this without a fight <g>; given that these types of optional paragraphs are only used here for in-house use in precedents.

This way there are no special treatments required to get this into the TOC.

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Charles,

Thanks for posting the links to the MS newsgroup discussions on list numbering - really interesting reading!

Gary

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charles is certainly correct in all that he's said, and I've followed all of those things carefully. As you say, the bracket is a problem, and I had thought myself that it wouldn't really be terrible for the bracket to be at the beginning of the text of the paragraph rather than before the number itself. The TOC issue becomes the biggest aspect of the problem, and if we use TC codes, the text doesn't update automatically... adding another layer of confusion to the mess.

Thanks for your input.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

Someone just told me that it's easier to add the bracket if you select the paragraph first. In the Customize Outline Numbering dialog, the Apply To dropdown now includes "Selected Text". This seems to work every time, without adding the bracket to every instance of the style in the document.

And this brings me back to my oft-asked question.... if I were to write a macro to do this, how would I retrieve the index of the current list template so I can get the NumberFormat and add the bracket to it?

Perhaps this question is like the holy grail.... I just can't seem to find an answer.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Richard

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Gary Frieder on 08-Jul-01 16:23.</FONT></P>Hi again,

When I test this, it works in some instances, and not in others:
    If I do this with a paragraph that has the style that occupies "Level 1" of the outline numbering list, then only that paragraph gets the square bracket.
    If I try to do this with a paragraph that has a style that occupies a level other than Level 1, then I get the bracket before every paragraph with this style.

[Edited later: OK, now Ive been able to get the square brackets around individual paragraphs at say, Level 2. But each time this is done, a new list template is added, as described below.]

But there is a more insidious problem introduced, in both cases, in that (1) you've just added another list template to the document (2) the numbered paragraphs are no longer reliably linked (i.e. different list templates are now applied to different numbered paragraphs) although this fact is not immediately apparent.

[Later edit: to demonstrate that these are really unlinked, go back to the very first instance in the document, of a 'Level 1' style, then go to Bullets & Numbering/Customize, and change the number style for the second or third level of the list. OK your way back to the document. The changes will have been applied to some paragraphs, but not to any of the paragraphs that have the square brackets in front of them.]

The more paragraphs there are in the document, that get the bracket added this way, the more list templates, the more unlinked numbering - something's gonna give sooner or later.

As to the oft-asked question - have a look at the discussions from the MS newsgroups that Charles has posted links to in his post in this thread. Revealed there is how to add a named list template programatically (and how to apply that list template subsequently). Per my earlier note, I don't use that method, but it is interesting and could be just the way to go in some cases.

But that's still not going to solve the problem of getting square brackets in front of only some numbers, via autonumbering.

Gary

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HI Gary,

I guess I had better luck testing this than you did. I suppose that is further proof of how inconsistent it it.

Thanks for reminding me that each paragraph with the bracket applied to that para only adds another list template to the document. I knew that, but really hadn't thought about the ramifications which you mention. We make a big deal of not having superfluous numbering schemes in a document, and this certainly does that. A large document during the editing stages could have 40 or 50 "option" paragraphs, and those list templates never go away.

I'll look over some of the links that Charles provided.

Thanks again.
    Richard

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gary,

Here's something interesting that I discovered while working on this. I was testing for the number of ListTemplates in the document (ActiveDocument.ListTemplates.Count) and I saw that a blank new document had 14. My client had just created and sent me their new normal.dot, and I reviewed it to see where the ListTemplates might have been coming from. I knew it was a new normal that we let Word create, and they copied some styles into it and removed some of the silly AutoText entries that Microsoft thinks everyone wants and needs.

The client had also based most of the built-in paragraph styles on their "Firm Normal" style. It seems that modifying some of the styles, namely List, List2, etc. and the ListBullet family, causes a ListTemplate to kick in and get stored in the document. I wouldn't have thought that simply modifying the "based on" field would trigger this, but it does.

I thought that was rather interesting.