New Lounger
    Thanks

A Useful AntiVirus Utility

As many computer users are aware, spyware and viruses are a large concern, especially if you browse the Internet frequently. There are many free anti-virus programs available, but many of them only scan for viruses, and not malware. Additionally, programs such as AVG Anti-Virus are somewhat limited. If you are looking for a good anti-virus program, I highly recommend Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic. This program is free, and can detect many viruses, as well as spyware and adware. It also interacts with the Windows Security Centre, reminding you to update or to turn the program on if it is ever turned off. I highly recommend AntiVir to everybody who wants the power of an antivirus utility such as Kaspersky, but does not wish to pay for them. You may download AntiVir by visiting the AntiVir Personal Edition Classic site. (You can visit the German AntiVir website by clicking here .)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: A Useful AntiVirus Utility

Edited by HansV to correct link

According to http://www.av-comparatives.org/, the Premium Edition gives "many" false positives.

I believe that the free edition does not scan incoming email, but I'm not sure.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This almost sounds like a spam post - how are you connected to this product? What do you mean "programs such as AVG Anti-Virus are somewhat limited"? I feel that is a very biased statement, especially since you offer no justification or rationale.

Howard is correct, PCMag reports: "Does not specifically scan incoming or outgoing email. On-demand scan won't quarantine found items, only attempt repair or delete."

Claymania reports: "On-demand scanner is inflexible. Detection rates are okay, but not impressive. Updating requires the entire program to be downloaded every time. The DOS command line version is too limited to be useful."

And PCWorld did not seem all that enthused either: "...it lacks e-mail scanning (it watches only file read and write operations and looks for suspicious macros). You can use AntiVir's separate scheduler program to launch scheduled hard-disk scans, and virus-signature and program updates; but how to perform these tasks (or whether they're possible) is far from obvious."

In my opinion, I see no use for any anti-virus program that does not scan at least incoming email for malware. By far, through email is one of the most prolific methods badguys use to spread their malware. The only purpose I see for this is as a supplemental, "on-demand" scanner to use occasionally just to verify my system is okay. But currently, if I feel that is necessary, I just use one of the well respected, always updated, on-line scanners, PandaSoft ActiveScan or Trend Micro HouseCall.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I also find interesting there is, for wont of a better word, bifrucation in discussion of AV packages.

This forum seems to concentrate on products that are not oft mentioned at http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32, and vice versa.

THe discussions at http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32 are, at the least, very biased.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>...bifrucation... <hr>
    Not in my dictionary. Whatcha tryin' to say?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Al,

I think that bifurcation is what happens when the trousers of time meet the legs of destiny.

StuartR

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

bifurcation

I never learned to type well

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bifurcation - More like when those trousers meet two legs of destiny! [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────