Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Scheduled Task issue... (XP Pro)

Task is scheduled to run, and using FileMon, it appears to run. But... it did not.

Task is to logoff the user if there is no activity for 2 minutes (Path = C:WINDOWSsystem32logoff.exe). Task is set to run every minute, every day, starting at 12:01am and running for 23:59 hours. So... it is to run all the time! It works sometimes, but not all the time.

Look at the image -- if I can get it to post (I had to cut it down to fit). Notice how logoff.job appears to have run. Yet, clearly there is data obtained after it ran -- so the user was clearly not logged off!!

Is Task Scheduler user specific?? It does not appear to be. Any ideas? Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Scheduled Task issue... (XP Pro)

Scheduled tasks can be set to run as a specified user, and can be set to run only if that user is logged on. Otherwise it will run even if the user is not logged on. See the properties of the scheduled task.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I have looked over the Properties box and tabs inumerable times. There is really nothing that says stuff like "Run only if User X is logged on", or "Select the users you wish this to run on". Besides, I think my image shows that the ".job" was RUN -- but it did not work!

The ".job" ran, but it was somehow ineffective. Do I need to stick the .job file in the the "All Users" Startup folder?? What do I need to do to make a Task run for ALL users??

This must have a simple solution...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The option to run only if logged on was introduced in Windows XP SP2 - see New features of the Scheduled Tasks Control Panel item that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 2 and in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005.

I'm not an expert in scheduled tasks, so I hope someone else can help you.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. I appreciate any other opinion I can get -- expert or otherwise. I just need another brain looking at this issue so that I don't miss something obvious...

There is a "run only if logged on" check box, but I don't think that is the issue. If that is unchecked (which it is), that should mean it should run whether or not a user is logged in. Or that is how I interpret the wording.

I beleive this is a user privilege issue. While the task was created as "an" Administrator, it was not created as "the" Administrator. I think for the task to run for ALL users, "the" Administrator account has to be used to create it.

I figured out that there is a log that tells you WHY a tasks might not have completed:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308558

In the Scheduled Tasks window there is an Advanced menu item that has a "View Log" option. I shall have to investigate that....

Thank you for the help.