Star Lounger
    Thanks

Export as tif - higher resolution (2002/SP1)

I know that in "Office 11" you can change the registry to make the export settings be higher than the default 96dpi. I haven't been able to find how to do that in Office 2002/SP1. Any links?
    THanks,
    Alex

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Export as tif - higher resolution (2002/SP1)

This option was introduced in PowerPoint 2003, there is no equivalent in earlier versions.
    To change the size of the exported image, you can change the size of the slide. PowerPoint 2002 uses 72 dpi, so if you create a slide of 12" by 9", exporting it will result in a 864 by 648 pixel image, for example.
    Or get the PPTools ImageExport add-in, it offers (among other features) "Complete control over image size; export images at any reasonable resolution". It's not free, but you can download a free demo.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmm, interesting. Thanks. Unfortunately, I can't get rid of the blockiness of the fonts. i.e. the fonts are not anti-aliased. I think you discussed a trick somewhere for dealing with this (slideshow) but I don't know how to apply that to higher-res images (i.e. 300dpi, 11inch x 8.5inch).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I have no idea about that.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Alex,

You have two choices....

Either export the slides at a much higher resolution, and then get something like photoshop to downsize the images (and by doing so smooths the fonts a little bit)... see
    Improve PowerPoint's GIF, BMP, PNG, JPG export resolution
    http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00052.htm

Or 'grab' the screens during a slideshow (to preserve the antialiased (smooth) fonts).... something like snag it from camtasia makes this job easier for lots of slides.

Cheers
    TAJ Simmons
    microsoft powerpoint mvp

awesome - powerpoint backgrounds

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, thanks for your help.
    I tried both tricks. The ImageExporter turned out to be the best alternative, although it still left blocky, non-aliased fonts. The slideshow trick works as long as the destination is the screen. Higher-resolution pictures for press look bad, of course. Just exporting at higher resolution without PPtools sort of worked except some elements of the slide looked bad (arrows got very small for whatever reason).
    I guess the answer is there no optimal solution to the Powerpoint -> high resolution problem. I'll need to remake these 2 figures in a different program. It's too bad Powerpoint is so bad at exporting images, but I suppose that it is not meant to be a publishing program.
    Thanks again for your help,
    Alex

Thanks

Another possibility might be to print the slides to PDF. Not sure what the resolution will be for image elements, but for text, it should be stored in a format scalable up to any PPI you like.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, good point. The pdf option does mantain the fonts in scalable form. In fact the only element of the slide that looks ugly in that case is a bitmap that contains fonts. But that's not powerpoint's fault. Thanks.
    -Alex