4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop screen display

I have a new Gateway laptop purchased for my use by my work. It works great when I am plugged into power. When I want to use battery power, I turn on the power button, the lights come on it starts to boot gets to the Windows screen then the monitor goes black except for the mouse pointer then the mouse pointer dissappears. Lights stay on, can't hear the harddrive running. I tried another battery and no help. The tech support people say it is a software problem? That does not make sense to me. Works fine when it is plugged into a power source. I looked at the power management area and hibernation is turned off and I also tried to turn off the energy management settings that control the monitor display. On other laptops you can use power to startup then unplug the power and they will run off battery, this does not work either. I also looked in the settings and gave a try to the battery learn process. I just sat at 98% power 37% complete. I see that there is the ability to have 2 batteries. any ideas would be appreciated.

Carla

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Laptop screen display

Yes it is more than like a software issue as the techies have said. They have probably toned it down but I bet it is a driver issue. Have you tried to update the graphics drivers?
    Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jerry,

Got the correct driver from Gateway, and still same problem. I was able to access thier online support and they had me try the battery power with an external monitor and the external monitor worked fine. They think that it is an LCD problem. Looks like it is going to get sent in. I was hoping for a setting change or something I could do without sending it in-but looks like not this time. Thanks as always for the suggestions.
    Carla

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Carla

Okee Doke, I have an old Hi-grade that I use for number crunching and I have a similar but inermittent problem like yours. If I am unsure with it I just plug in an old monitor and it works fine...somebody else mentioned hardware to me but you are doing the right thing get the manufacturers to deal with it at least you have a warranty
    Jerry