Star Lounger
    Thanks

New OS install on RAID

I am so stuck. I am trying to setup a server for my small business. I purchased an Intel P4 system without an OS (I have Server 2003 to install). When I turn on the computer all seems to go fine through the POST. No IDE drives are shown, it does list the RAID drives. I have a Boot disk floppy for the RAID drivers and press F6 when prompted during the OS install. Then when prompted I press "S" to install drivers, the screen shows the Intel RAID driver, I select it and then when I press ENTER to continue the OS setup the screen says that no hard drives can be located, press F3 to exit.

What am I doing wrong. This is my first experience with RAID systems and Windows Server.

Thanks,

Bret

Thanks

Re: New OS install on RAID

Bret,
    I assume you checked the BIOS for the proper configuration.

There is a good guide to Raid setup HERE
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

HI Bob,

Being new to the whole RAID thing I'm not sure what I should see in the BIOS. I have checked it and it shows no IDE drives. I can't remember the exact spot it does show that I want to use a RAID array as the boot disk. After the regular POST comes up the option to enter the RAID utility window comes up. I press the tab key as it says and that shows me the two 160 gig hdd and that they are mirrored.

I will checkout your link. Thanks.

Bret

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bob,

Well, I double checked myself agains the link you provided and have done everything that was described in that article. I can't figure it out. I have an email in to the tech support for this computer. Hopefully I will be hearing something from them soon.

Thanks for the assistance,

Bret

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmm. I just struggled through this myself on a Proliant ML110.

Here's an alternate way to load the RAID drivers, make a custom XP disk with the drivers on it. I followed the instructions in this link.
    http://www.maximumpc.com/2005/01/how_to_slipstre.html

I took several tries to get everything right, but once I did, everything loaded with no problem.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the help everyone. As it turned out, I just needed to get the correct RAID driver on the floppy. Why on earth would a computer manufacturer put out a CD with 10 different RAID drivers on the one CD? Cost I suppose is the answer. But, then why not clearly mark each computer with the number of the RAID driver that you need. I finally found the correct driver by just making the floppy disk 8 times. I should feel lucky that I didn't have to go through all 10.

The other sad part is that I didn't get much help from the tech support people at the motherboard or computer company. They both gave me a standard form reply email.

Thanks once again, I love the lounge, it is such a great source of comfort to know that you are all here.

Bret