2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Security Alerts (XP PRO)

Howdy,
    How can I remove the bubble in the lower left hand corner that states "Your computer may be at risk"??? I refuse to download any security updates because of the spyware Genuine Advantage installs. Any ideas???

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Security Alerts (XP PRO)

Click Start | Control Panel and then Security Center. On Security Center window click "Change the way Security Center alerts me" (the last link on the left pane) and on the next screen uncheck "Automatic updates". Click OK.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Are you talking about the (balloon) notification in the lower RIGHT corner, the notification area (also known as the tray)?

In Windows XP SP2, they added the Security Center to the Control Panel. In Security Center, you can manage how you want to deal with Automatic updates and, as you have seen, it can monitor your settings. This includes anti-virus software and firewall software. If any of these three (AV, firewall, automatic updates) is turned off, the Security Center will show a notification. See:

Manage Your Computer's Security Settings in One Place

Security Essentials for Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Windows Security Center:

To turn off the warning notification:
    - In Control Panel click Security Center
    - To the left, Resources, click Change the way Security Center alerts me
    - Clear the check box for Automatic updates

I do not think you should refuse to download security updates due to WGA validation tool, and I think you know that it will put your machine at risk. However, I think that one can for example refuse to download a specific update if it is known to have a problem. At the moment, there seems to be little trouble, and some patches have been updated. Look at: <A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.askwoody.com/viewpatch.php">Woody

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys... I didn't think to look there or anywhere else, but I knew someone here would have the answer. Thanks again...