Lounger
    Thanks

Calculations in a protected form (Word 2003)

I would like to have word automatically calculate three form fields in a protected form. I inserted the formula =SUM(LEFT) into the form field where I would like the total to appear. The calculation works great if I have the form unprotected, but once I protect the form the calculation on longer works and the form field just displays a 0. I am new to using calculations in Word and any assistance would be appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Calculations in a protected form (Word 2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

In the first place, make sure that each text form field in which the user can enter a number has "Calculate on Exit" turned on. This check box can be set in the dialog that appears when you double click the text form field. Also make sure that each text form field has a bookmark name associated with it.

Double click the text form field that should contain the sum, and set its Type to Calculation. Then enter a formula such as

=Text1+Text2+Text3

in the Expression box, where Text1 etc. are the bookmark names of the text form fields.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Calculations in a protected form (Word 2003)

Thank so much for the warm welcome and for the perfect advice. My form now works correctly and I have learned something new. This site is definitely a reference I will use from now on!