2 Star Lounger
    Canberra City, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Word 2000 Quits Unexpectedly (Word 2000 SP3)

Word on my wife's computer quits with no message of any kind and very quickly when she tries to edit or print a document. I gather this has been happening for a while - but my experience is that if I try to add a single character or try to print a document Word disappears instantly - for example when trying to print before I have released the mouse button. I have tried Office Repair - no change. I can edit and print the same documents from my computer through our local network, but even after I have edited a document Word on her computer still disappears as soon as I try to add a character. I have searched the Microsoft Knowledge Base but no joy. All M'Soft patches up to date have been installed. The Word documents are simple letters or notices - some with a simple table but otherwise unremarkable.

Would appreciate any advice at all - this has me beat!

Noel

Thanks

Re: Word 2000 Quits Unexpectedly (Word 2000 SP3)

I have to suspect interaction with some other piece of software. This could be Oullook, a Word add-in or global template. Phil's star post (Systematic Approach...) lists a number of diagnostic steps to try in such situations: http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthread...l?Number=197827

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much for that information. I did everything suggested except making the macro (could not do that as Word kept disappearing before I could complete it). But afraid the problem is still there!

Maybe someone else has a suggestion, I hope!

Noel

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

So the problem remained even after step 2 and step 4 of Phil Rabichow's troubleshooting guide? Since a repair of Office didn't help either, you've exhausted most options. Remaining are a complete uninstall and reinstall of Office 2000, and a complete reinstall of her PC.

Thanks

Try a different printer. For example, set the Windows default printer to a PDF print driver (there are some free ones such as CutePDF Writer if you don't already have one on the computer). Then open Word and check File>Print; it should show the current printer as the PDF driver. Can you type characters or print? If so, very likely the "normal" default printer driver is corrupted or incompatible with Word. Hopefully you can find a solution for that (either on the manufacturer's site -- an update -- or by rolling back to what was originally installed from CD).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, that found the problem! I tried making another printer the default (she actually has two printers - a Dell and an Epsom - the Dell was the default) - changed to the Epsom, and also made the printer on my computer available through our network the default, and in both cases the problem went away! But next problem - I downloaded the latest Dell driver for the Dell 922 - but that only returned the problem! I guess the best thing now is to telephone Dell Support and see if they can help.

Thank you very much. I will defer uninstall and reinstall until I can sort something out with Dell.

Noel