Star Lounger
    Thanks

Motherboard swap (Pro SP2)

Hi all. I have an old machine with a Gigabyte GA-5AX motherboard (ok, ok, really old machine). I want to swap it with a slightly better GA-6BXC motherboard I have. The point of the exercise being the newer board has a faster CPU that is not compatible with the old board. The problem I have is that after swapping the boards, the computer boots and prompts me to the 'safe mode' etc selection screen. No matter what option I choose, the machine just reboots back to the same screen again. I'm wondering if XP is breaking down due to the new board. Is this likely and normal ? Am I looking at a fresh install of the OS to use the new board or is there a way around it ? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks - Michael

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Motherboard swap (Pro SP2)

There are some configuration changes that will require a complete reinstall of the Windows operating system. The most likely of these is if the new Motherboard supports ACPI and the old one didn't.

According to this link there was a BIOS update for the GA-5AX to support ACPI installation, in 1999, so you if your's is really old...

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Am I looking at a fresh install of the OS to use the new board or is there a way around it ?

No, you can reinstall Windows "upon itself":

- Insert Windows Installation CD into CD drive, then power off and power on the computer
    - When prompted, press any key to boot from CD (you have 5 seconds to do it)
    - Windows Setup will start. On the first prompt, choose "Set up Windows XP" (not "Repair"!)
    - On the second prompt, press F8 to agree to EULA
    - When Setup recognizes your Windows installation, (on the third prompt) press R to repair Windows.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Stuart, you are correct and the original board did have that update so hopefully ACPI is not an issue. Kaplinb, I read about the method you suggested some time ago and used it but it has not fixed the problem. I dug a little deeper..........in Safe Mode, the system hangs at trying to load ALIM1541.SYS. Much googling later I have seen many errors relating to this but no real help. Now the chipset on the original 5AX board is AliM 1541 and 1543c. The chipset on the newer 6BXC board is Intel 440BX. Could this be where my problem lies??? Is XP trying to load some sort of driver or something for a chipset that no loger exists? While at the Gigabyte site I grabbed the latest chipset driver installer just for the sake of it. It has an NT section but not XP. Any ideas ??
    Thanks - Michael

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks kaplinb for the link. Handy site by the way. I had flashed the BIOS with the stable release and the current beta version ( both available from the site you link to) and neither helped which is why I wondered if it was some kind of driver issue. I have the BIOS set as I would expect it to need to be. I'm still exploring a few avenues and will post any results. Meanwhile, any more thoughts are welcome. Ta - Michael

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems like these drive me nuts...........I have all my important data backed up so I'm going to scrap the old OS and reinstall. Thanks guys for your help and I'll let you know how it pans out. Michael

Some time later......Got it all sorted out and will post this as it may help someone with a similar problem. I still have no idea what caused my original problem but that's irrelevant now with a fresh install being done. However, after the install I still had the same problem with the PC just rebooting in an endless cycle. After moving the drive to the secondary IDE it booted fine and I found that the primary IDE was not working due to a lack or resources. For reasons beyond me, IRQ14 had been assigned too many devices and was leaving the primary IDE high and dry. Anyway, it's all going now so thanks once again for the help offered - Michael