Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Xfer Contacts to New PC (2000 SR-1)

Hallelujah...!!!

After 6 years, my boss is getting me a new PC !*!*! (she's very frugal.) I have been using Outlook for it's contacts & calendar functions since 2000; & was wondering...how would I archive & move my Contacts folders info to the new machine?

Thanks,

mark4man
    ADK Pro Audio Quad Pro, w/ Intel Core i7 2600 CPU | 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM | Seagate 500 GB SATA II (Primary) HD | Seagate 1 TB SATA II (Audio Data) HD | Win 7 Pro 64-Bit | Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16 | Universal Audio UAD-1 | Cakewalk SONAR PE XI | Steinberg WaveLab 7 | NI Komplete 5 | Band-In-A-Box 2012

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Xfer Contacts to New PC (2000 SR-1)

If you're using Outlook 2000 in Corporate Workgroup mode, see How to manage personal folders files in Outlook (CW).
    If you're using Outlook 2000 in Internet Mail Only mode, see How to manage personal folders files in Outlook (IMO).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans...

Thanks, man.

How do I know which mode I'm in?

mark4man
    ADK Pro Audio Quad Pro, w/ Intel Core i7 2600 CPU | 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM | Seagate 500 GB SATA II (Primary) HD | Seagate 1 TB SATA II (Audio Data) HD | Win 7 Pro 64-Bit | Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16 | Universal Audio UAD-1 | Cakewalk SONAR PE XI | Steinberg WaveLab 7 | NI Komplete 5 | Band-In-A-Box 2012

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Select Help | About...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Once you have imported your Outlook Express folders and contacts into Outlook, they will be part of your Outlook .pst file, so you won't have to do anything extra to transfer them to the new machine.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans...

Thanks a million !!!

1 more question & then I'll bug off. I went into Outlook Express to also perform that migration; & found an export process that sends all my folders & messages to Outlook. If I wanted to consolidate my contacts & calender w/ my e-mail use; & only use Outlook when I get the new PC...if I export those folders & messages to Outlook now...is there a way to export them to a .pst file out of Outlook (&...is that the same process you sent me w/ the links...or different)?

Thanks very much,

mark4man

BTW: I went to Help > About Microsoft Outlook; & the window states the version; & then: "No E-mail"...does that mean I'm in Corporate mode?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again...

BTW: I went to Help > About Microsoft Outlook; & the window states the version; & then: "No E-mail"...does that mean I'm in Corporate mode?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Or possibly that you have not yet set up an email account/server in Outlook through (Outlook XP/2003) Tools | Email accounts | Add a new ...
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In fact, the No E-mail version is a submode of the Internet Mail Only mode, without a mail account setup. If you want to start using Outlook for mail too, switch to Internet Only Mode. See How to switch from one installation type to another in Outlook 2000 - the section titled "Change the Installation Type from No E-mail to Internet Mail Only" describes how to do that.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK guys...

I set up my accounts (2) in Outlook, attempted to send a test e-mail to my home PC; & it wouldn't leave the Outbox (despite the fact that I used the exact same account configs as those in OE; & also despite the fact that I registered Outlook as my default e-mail client.) That's the 1st problem.

But I noticed when I attempted to send the test e-mail...there was no option to choose which account the e-mail would originate from, as there is in Outlook Express. Is this an anomaly of Outlook? Is it possible?

Also: (& I suppose I should ask this one over in the OE forum, but)...if I dispense with all of this & decide to just stay w/ OE as my e-mail client on the new PC, how do I export my message folders out of there? When I tried it...it only allowed me to export them to Outlook (which is weird, because I could have sworn I did this at home once a couple of years back when I got new machine.)

Thanks very much,

mark4man

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I hope someone else can help you with your Outlook problem.

About Outlook Express: see #2 and #1 in Top ten countdown in Outlook Express.

Thanks

> I noticed when I attempted to send the test e-mail...there was no option to choose which account the e-mail would
    > originate from, as there is in Outlook Express. Is this an anomaly of Outlook? Is it possible?

This varies depending on your version of Outlook and your mode in Outlook 2000. Assuming you have at least two accounts set up:

2000 IMO - a drop-down arrow appears next to the Send button
    2000 CW - not possible
    2002 - an Accounts button appears on the toolbar in the message compose window
    2003 - same as 2002

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HansV & jscher2000...

Thanks much. I've really learned a lot from this thread...& it's appreciated.

mark4man

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update...Problem...!!!

OK...

Got the new PC up & running; & I had a really important contacts folder & sub-folder I needed to re-import into Outlook on the new machine. So, I went to Import/Export, Import from another program or file, chose .pst as my file type, browsed to the backup .pst folder; & in the Import Personal Folders dialog, under "Personal Folders", I see my "Contacts" folder & the sub-folder (entitled "Contractors") listed...so I check the box for including subfolders, checked the box for import items into the same folder (in Personal Folders)...& my original contacts appear in Contacts (under "Outlook Shortcuts" )...but when I go to "My Shortcuts", where the subfolder (Contractors) used to be located...its not there !!!

Can someone tell me where this folder is ??? (it

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You'll probably have to create the shortcut anew.
    Can you see the Contractors folder under Contacts if you look at the Folder List?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast