4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bypass Logon screen (XP Pro (SP2))

Help !!

I have a friend with a computer with XP Pro (SP2) and ONLY one account - Administrator. For reasons I can NEVER imagine, he wants to be able to turn on the computer and go directly onto Desktop without having to go through the logon screen. He is the only user on the computer and doesn't like having a logon screen if at all possible.

I read a Tips and Tricks article which allowed this for XP Home, but can not remember where, when or how. I do not know if this is possible for XP Pro.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help !!!!

NOTE:Selection account inControl Panel and trying to set password to null (nocharacters) did not work. Also, only optioned showed password required.
    Scott

Thanks

Re: Bypass Logon screen (XP Pro (SP2))

If you go to Control Panel>User Accounts, click on "change the way users log on or off". Check "use the Welcome screen" box.

I have my logon set this way and it just shows the Welcome screen and then continues to load the rest of Windows. No clicking users or passwords required.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Also: when logon as Administrator, click Start | Run, type

CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2

and hit Enter. User Accounts window will open. Check "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" checkbox. You can also add user accounts from here by clicking "Add" button and assign new user account to an appropriate user group, change passwords etc.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bob,

Just an FYI: there's also a PowerToys option that seems to govern this. I guess the Control Panel option must have higher priority than the PT option since I have the "Use the Welcome Screen" box checked but the PT option not checked. Like you, I go directly thru the Welcome screen to my desktop. I wonder what would happen if I reversed them. Hopefully the same.

The PT option also allows you to specify a user account to go to directly in cases where there's more than one. That might be useful on my other PC, where I have 3 accounts, but I don't have PT installed there. I even wanted to delete an account from there but haven't done it yet - not sure about the ramifications of doing it or if there's info I want to save from that old account.

Fred

Thanks

Fred,
    Yes, I have found that PT options apparently carry a rather low priority in some instances. It is easy to understand why Control Panel overrides some of those settings though.

The other PC without PT would be easy to remove a user by just going to CP>user accounts and using the delete user option.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fred,

Thanks for the suggestions. I never used the PT options but will pass the information along.

One note on your account you would like to delete. I have deleted a couple of accounts on XP Pro (Non-Administrator). There were no problems and the "Profiles" remained on the computer since I did NOT select option to delete files. This way if there was data that was needed, I could access it later. After 6-8 months, if I never accessed information in a deleted profiles subdirectories, I cleaned those out as well.

What I do NOT know, or have tried, is deleting an account that had administrator privileges and actual was used to install one or more programs. I have always tried to ensure I used the original Administrator account to install ALL programs to avoid this potential problem.

For what it is worth, hope this helps.
    Scott

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Scott,

And thanks for your tips. Unfortunately, the other computer has 3 accounts and I think they're all admin. 1 could probably be deleted because it was set up just for my use on the wife's computer but I don't think I ever used it. So no pgms were installed under it.

The other 2 accounts are the wive's. There's the original account called something like WIFE1 that the PC was set up with. At some point in time, it seems like something became corrupted in that account because the PC would S-L-O-W down almost all the time. After asking some people, they suggested creating a WIFE2 account. That seemed to solve the problem. I don't think we re-installed any programs under WIFE2. We've debated whether to delete the WIFE1 account. I think we've looked thru Win Explorer at what's stored under there and don't really see anything we need in that part of the folder structure but I don't know if there are things stored elsewhere to be concerned about. But your point seems to suggest to proceed carefully if deleting the WIFE1 account.

Fred

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fred,

After your last post, I decided to do some "Experimenting". Since I had to rebuild a W98SE computer, I went ahead and re-installed XP Pro on a test bed computer I was going to rebuild anyway. (While twiddling my thumbs waiting for the one computer, I worked on the other and became only slightly bored).

After the initial XP Pro install, I created a profile called DeleteMe and gave Administrator privileges. I then installed ZoneAlarm and MS Office (minimal). Verified everything worked. To save time, I burned a disk recovery image fro restoration later, so follow-on "Tests" would use the same baseline.

I then deleted the "DeleteMe" profile and all associated files. The main thing I noticed was the removal of some of the startup icons. They were in the DeleteMe profile StartUp subdirectory. The next thing I noticed were some of the MS Office rules, initial settings, and Outlook files were missing - again these were in the DeleteMe profile subdirectories.

I restored the XP PRo machine to the baseline. Copied the DeleteME Profile items into the Administrator Profile subdirectories. Then removed the profile with option to delete the profile files. Everything worked with one exception, MS Outlook and some of the MS Office Files could not be found. HOWEVER, MS gave me the option to "Point" to the new location (now in the Administration Profile Subdirectories). After that, I had no problems.

Bottom line, I see 3 main options:
    A) Go though your old profiles for configuration information, initialization files, data files and move them to another location under a profile you want to keep. You can then get rid of the old profiles and subdirectories. You can always re-instal an application that gets flakey as long as you have the data files you created with the application.

[img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] Brute force method to determine in you have a potential problem. Use XP to compress the unused profile subdirectories. Use the computer for several months and all applications on your computer. If you encounter an error, the error should identify the file name/location causing the error. You can then uncompress that file, move to different profile, and/or re-install that application under the Administrator Profile. After several months of using the computer with no problems, you can delete the unused profiles subdirectories.

C) Just leave them there. The unused profiles probably do not take up much space and if the don't bother you, leave them alone. Get rid of them when you re-build the computer or upgrade to another OS (HEAVY SHUDDER).

NOTE:Check the Date/File stamp. If you have not used the profiles for a long time, the date/file stamp will provide an indication if anything from that profile is required for applications used in other profiles.

Obviously I had way to much time on my hands - or I am becoming an insomniac.

Sorry for the long post - hopoe this help a little.
    Scott

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Scott,

Thanks - good work. I had pretty much decided to do A. Now I just need the time. Did you want to come over here (NJ) in your free time?

Fred

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fred,

N O O O OOooooooo PRO - BELM - A ! ! ! !

Just need to get that darn Lear Jet out of mothballs, find the non-exsisting credit card for fuel, and away we go.

Ooops - I guess I need a pilot to (Oh well - maybe next time).

Good luck on your project and finding "time" ! Hope everthing works out OK.
    Scott