5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Corruption / Normal (Word 11)

Our users are experiencing more corruption of their normal template than in the past. The Help Desk Manager has kindly suggested that I not store firm-wide macros in normal.dot. We do not, and never have, stored firm-wide macros in normal.dot. In fact, there is nothing "custom" in normal.dot other than firm styles. But recently, users were encouraged to create their own toolbars, adding (and editing) icons at will. Constant customization to any template's command bars eventually results in corruption. I know this... but I can't find an "official" statement of this. Does anyone know of an authoritarian mention of this fact that I can point out to those who are pointing their finger at me and my firm-wide macros?

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Corruption / Normal (Word 11)

This is from a Word MVPs article (Combatting Template Bloat):

"The Word Code Cleaner cannot remove bloat caused by extensive customizations of Command Bars or Key Bindings. If a project contains substantial customization of this sort, or if you frequently modify the customization and save the changes, the project will eventually become corrupt, even if you do regularly clean it with the Word Code Cleaner. ... The only way to avoid the bloat caused by customizations of Command Bars and Key Bindings ... is to recreate a project from scratch, starting with a new blank template that has never had its Command Bars or Key Bindings customized."

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Corruption / Normal (Word 11)

Thanks... exactly what I was looking for.