5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

file sharing problems 200 vs. 2003

I am working on a project to migrate our web/ftp server from an older machine running Windows 2000 Server, to a new box running Windows server 2003 web edition. Unfortunately, I can't quite get the servers to see each other, and I thoguht I'd throw this out here to see if I'm just being a dunce and am overlooking somethign fundamently.

Both servers have TCP/IP, same LAN segment, can ping each other
    " " , NetBIOS over TCP-IP
    " " , F & P sharing
    " " , Windows client
    " " , apropriate shares

If I do a "search for computers" with the IP address, I can find the other one, and drill down and open the share. Unfortunately, what I need is to map a drive letter. But, I can't see the other machine in the 'NetHood dialog box, or pick it up through Net Use at all.

Both are "workgroup" members. I've tried putting them in thes same and different workgroups. Not only can I not see the other workgroup from the new computer, I can't even open the new computer's own wokgroup. I get an error message telling me I may not have permission to the share!

Just a little bit weird, and I know that I am missing a piece of the puzzle, but I can't quite see what it might be.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: file sharing problems 200 vs. 2003

Well, after some investigations, it looks like the respective security wizards and checklists I followed to set these web servers up broke all the file sharing functionality.

I guess I'll have to lossen up some of this stuff to get enough "stuff" open and operating to get the two machines talking totransfer all the information, then tighten it up again. That means a little more downtime than I realy wanted, but I guess it can't be helped.