Star Lounger
    Thanks

Key Control (Office 2000)

Greeting Everyone,
    I need some advice. I am wanting to create a database to control an assortment of building keys. I have approximently 60 different keys I am controlling. I need to somehow have a list of whom these keys are issued to.
    I may have 10 of the same key and I have 6 of these keys issued out to 6 different people.
    I need to be able to query on one or more keys or on a person to see what keys they were issued.
    I have a few ideas but I thought I would throw out the question here for a few other ideas.
    Thanks for every ones time and help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Key Control (Office 2000)

I would create 3 tables:

1) tblKeys contains one record for each physical key. There can be several physical keys for one lock. A physical key can be issued to a person. This is the main table. The other two are lookup tables.
    2) tblKeyTypes contains the unique key types. Different locks need different key types.
    3) tblPersons is the list of persons.

The main data entry form would be based on tblKeys, with combo boxes for KeyTypeID and PersonID.
    You can create another form with a (multiselect) list box displaying all key types. Clicking a command button after selecting one or more key types filters the form or pops up a filtered report.
    Similarly, you can create a form with a list box or combo box displaying all persons, etc.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I would just add 1 table to Hans' solution, tblLock. It would be the "one" side of a one-to-many relationship with tblKey. This would ensure there was no confusion as to which key went where.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hey Mark,
    I have finally got to this project. Can you show an example of the relationship you are speeching of like Hans has shown on his previous post. I am still learning Access through trial and error. Thanks.