New Lounger
    Thanks

Word AutoText (2003)

I have created autotext selections that are strikethrough and would like to be able to select them (or any other autotext selections) in a protected document.
    Is there a way to allow a selection in a protected doc?

I have tried a number of ways but to no success. Is there a way to build a dropdown list that would allow autotext selections to be selected?

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word AutoText (2003)

I think you will have to write a macro that unprotects the document, makes the change and protects the document again.

You could use a userform to input the users choice of text, or you could build a drop down list into a menu.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks StuartR, I have now created a macro that takes care of selecting an option from a dropdown and populating a bookmark with the autotext list I created to be used.
    It now populates the bookmark location as expected and then re-protects the document.

Now I have an issue with the dropdown printing as it appears in the document after the selection is populated at the bookmark desired. Is there any way to prevent the dropdown from printing once all "automagical" ocurrences have completed and the document is then printed?

Regards,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Two options I can think of...
    1. <LI>Use a toolbar menu option instead of a dropdown
      <LI>Add code to the Macro that deletes the dropdown
    StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to Stuarts suggestions:
    Select the dropdown and turn it into hidden text (marked red with a dotted underline). Make sure to check the option for displaying hidden text and to uncheck the option to print hidden text in Tools | Options.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks and kudo's to you for your suggestion which instantly solved the issue of not printing the field.
    Thanks to both you and Stuart's advise and suggestions I am near completing the challenge.

Thanks again and now I have a new found interest in getting to know the innards of Word!

Regards,