Star Lounger
    Thanks

checking spacing after periods (2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3)

Hi. Does anyone know whether it is possible to somehow do a check throughout an entire document to ensure that there is only one space after the period completing each sentence, before the next sentence begins? Would be grateful for any advice on this.

Cheers

Ross

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: checking spacing after periods (2000 (9.0.6926 SP-3)

Assuming that you haven't tried to align text by typing multiple spaces, you can select Edit | Replace, enter a period followed by two spaces in the 'Find what' box, a period followed by one space in the 'Replace with' box and click 'Replace all'. Just to make sure, click the button another time.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans.

Worked a treat. Thanks a lot!

Cheers

Ross

Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I deal with the same problem, I search for the full stop and white space (^w) then replace with a full stop and one space or, if the document requires it, two spaces. That way, you get all spaces between sentences whether they have one, two, three or more spaces.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That should work well in most documents. But it will also replace a period followed by a tab character - this may not be desirable.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have the opposite problem. We do use two spaces after periods. Is there a way to search for "period space" but NOT get "period space space" when both are present? Else, I have to do a "manual" search/replace throughout the entire document.
    Thanks.......... !

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Click More in the Find/Replace dialog.
    Tick the 'Use wildcards' check box.
    Enter the following in the Find What box:
    <code>
    . [! ]
    </code>
    (period, space, opening square bracket, exclamation mark, space, closing square bracket). The ! means "not", so this expression searches for a period followed by a space, then anything BUT a space.

Note: using two spaces between sentences is a leftover from the time of the typewriter with its fixed width characters. With variable width fonts such as Arial and Times New Roman, Word automatically makes the (single) space between sentences wider than the space between words within a sentence.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Why, thank you, Hans! I didn't know you could do that in Word. I've found the search routines fairly simplistic. Thanks for the tip!
    BTW, I know the two spaces are a holdover, but hey, it's the way we do things around here.....
    The single-space line height of 12 points is also a holdover from the typewriter when 6 lines equalled one inch. And Word keeps increasing their generic single- and double-space line heights, much to the chagrin of us legal types, who use 28-lined paper for courts. We have to set absolute line heights for the line numbers to track.
    Thanks again !
    ------CJ

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: checking spacing after periods (2000 (9.0.6926

If you go to Tools/Options/Compatibility and select Don't add extra space for raised/lowered characters does that help?