Star Lounger
    Thanks

Server Certificate Expired

I have been operating a small business for the past three years. When I took over the business the previous owner had a "great" web guy who had handled all the details. Since taking over an assistant of mine has basically taken over most of the details in working with the site. Now, we have a problem that has us stumped. Also, we have had no luck getting the "great" web guy on the phone. For all we know he is dead.

Anyway, I was tinkering with a test order and got a message saying "Server Certificate Expired "cassrv.com" is a site that uses a security certificate to encrypt data during transmission, but its certificate expired on 5/29/2006 7:05 am."

I have had no luck finding out any details on this. "cassrv.com" appears to be a dead site. Even if we purchase a new server certificate, we have no idea how to integrate it into out site. The bottom line is, I (we) need help. So far the Wopr crowd has never let me down.

Any ideas?

Larry P in NC

Thanks

Re: Server Certificate Expired

Do you use SSL encryption? If so, you need a valid certificate to avoid the user getting security warnings. Unless there is a typo somewhere in your code, there must be some relationship between your site and cassrv.com. For example:

* Your site's SSL certificate has a chain of authority leading through cassrv.com; or

* You use a back end service provider whose certificate is for cassrv.com or is in a chain of authority leading through cassrv.com (the SSL certificate for that domain was under the authority of Equifax Secure Global eBusiness); or

* Someone has hijacked something on your site or in your browser or on your PC...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Server Certificate Expired

Thanks for the reply. Yes we use SSL encryption. We've been using it since I got the company 3 years ago. In fact, my bank wouldn't let me sign up to process credit cards until they were satisfied with the SSL Certificate.

I suspect what is going on is the site host (whom we have been having great difficulty getting in touch with) has let the certificate lapse. We are trying to figure out how to bypass our "provider" and go straight to the central host. In a phone call late today, we were told we had to go through the provider. Oh boy. Sounds like we are in for a couple more fun days.

Larry P