2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MultiUser Envitoment (2003)

I have several apps that use a table with a yes/no field to select multiple criteria. The user opens a form and can check one, several or all of the values available in the table. The next step the user opens a record set of the data to work with based on "yes" or "no" entries in the selection table. The problem is, if more than one person is using the app then the selections keep changing as another user makes other choices. My solution has been to make individual front ends for any user needing to use the app, making the selection table part of the app and the data table linked. I am sure there is a more elegant solution so that multiusers can use the same front end at the same time. The app is a shared dB on a LAN. Ideas/suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MultiUser Envitoment (2003)

The solution you have chosen is probably the best one. Using individual front ends minimizes the probability of conflicts and data corruption.

If the number of users is small, an alternative would be to place the selection table in the backend, and to set the Record Locks property of the form used to select to All Records. This ensures that only one user at a time can make selections.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MultiUser Envitoment (2003)

Have multiple users share the same frontend may seem elegant, but it is frought with problems. Separate frontend distributed to the user's local drive solves a bunch of these problems, including reducing contention, reducing corruption, and improving performance.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.