Super Moderator
    Thanks

Obtaining dataset from Lotus Notes Address Book (English/Word 97)

Can someone point me in the correct direction for accessing the Names.nsf (Lotus Notes v4.6.7 Personal Address Book) data to populate some text boxes in a user form.

I am creating a template which asks for a persons name and then takes that info and queries the user's address book and if a match is found, returns with the address, fax etc of that individual.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Obtaining dataset from Lotus Notes Address Boo

> accessing the Names.nsf

Andrew, did you ever get this working without a copy of Lotus Notes? I have been given an NSF file and would like solely to demonstrate that i can read it. I have Lotus Smartsuite 8, but not 6x, and don't have Notes any way. I've been seraching the web in case anyone has a format/layout of an NSF with one table and one record - all i need to prove my case. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Chris

That was a long time ago. I ended up using a line of code in Lotus Notes (LotusScript?) to export the relevant part of the address book to a csv and then used vba to read the csv file. This turned out to be 'necessary' because the address book contained different levels of security and different staff members could see different sets of names and I needed to display the allowed list according to who was running the macro.

When I was researching this problem I was told that Lotus Notes didn't store data in a table structure but more in a datacloud. I don't have experience in databases other than spreadsheets, Access and Filemaker and I didn't end up needing to discover what they meant by 'datacloud' but perhaps you need to manipulate the data differently than you do with other databases.

Do either of these links get you closer to your data extraction? One mentions an SDK which it sounds like you may need (if it is available separate to Notes).
    http://a1vbcode.com/vbtip.asp?ID=16
    http://www.developerfusion.com/show/135/

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew, thanks for the response and the links. Both links appear similar.

Exporting via CSV isn't an option to me. The desktop will be issued an NSF and will be expected to extract current data settings from the NSF.

I did d/l a trial version of Lotus Notes (100+MB!) figuring that at least I'd get the NNotes.dll. I also d/l a copy of the NotesSQL driver 9if that's its right name).

I now believe I'm establishing contact with the database, but am currently stumped because (as a test of my skills, obviously!), i am not told the name of the sole table; i must find that out for myself.

My feeling is that rather than dabble in Notes.session and Domino.session which will involve me in yet another language, I'm probably better served by getting the ODBC/SQL setup working, and then relying on my limited but existing SQL skills to navigate and extract. I'd appreciate your cvomments on that suggestion.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Obtaining dataset from Lotus Notes Address Book (English/Word 97)

Try the Lotus Notes API. There are several references to books when you Google this.

Personally, and I'm speaking from experience, my solution would be to get rid of Notes because IT SUCKS. (That's my personal opinion and in no way, shape or form descibes the opinion of anyone else in the lounge). If there are any IBM/Lotus people out there who are reading this, sue me.

Regards,
    Kevin Bell

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew, just for the record (hah hah!) here is some of the code I used to obtain names of tables (attached). The code includes (1) a connection effort and (2) a loop through all tables in the Notes database file. My client is now sending me more difficult tasks, so my approach (ouch!) posted here may fail under heavy load, but at least it seems to work on a simple unlocked database with a simple table. Thanks again for prompting me.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Well done. It all looks so easy when I look at the code you have created. Does this mean that you didn't need the Lotus Notes API after all?

I don't work with databases that much so I never would have stumbled upon the schema to reveal the table names.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> Does this mean that you didn't need the Lotus Notes API after all

I cheated. I d/l a demo copy of Notes (100MB) from the Lotus site. Overall my main aim was to establish a set of about half a dozen hookups to different databases, and use this common approach to make use of a growing library of database aps.

I settled on OBDC and ADODB.Connection, partly through the recommendation of a colleague. After that it was just a slog for a day or two wading across the www looking for code samples. I have failed to locate a suitable ADODB.Connection for Act6.

I now have a beautiful suite of dbase aps that thrive on any one of five or six database types. That is, I can run my dbanalysis routines against an MDB, and NSF, a CSV etc with total disregard for the source. I can as easily import any database to an Excel workbook, or to an Act! contact list (with mapped fields, yet!), or run the cleansing routine. It's really a dream come true.

I may have to change my tune and go back to ADO or DAO or RDO or whatever the flavour of the month is right now. But I ought now ONLY have to change my way of hooking up to a database. And once I work out how to hook up to, say, a Blackberry, all my dbase applications are instantly available.

I'm still learning; I believe I'll have to write dependent routines for the popular utilities such as "load array of table names from database" or "load array of field names from table", but at long last I'm on a standardised task.