Thread: DirectX

New Lounger
    Thanks

DirectX

I am using WindowsXP Home Edition SP2
    I downloaded and ran the latest version of DirectX..( DXDIAG.EXE )
    I am about to do a clean install of WindowsXP Pro.
    As I am only on Dial-up, and to save downloading the file again, I want to burn the program to a CD
    In C:WindowsPefetch I have

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DirectX

If you are going to install Windows XP Pro and then service pack 2 (or perhaps at one time with a slipstreamed XP SP2 CD) I think you will get DirectX 9.0c installed.

When Windows XP came, the DirectX version was 8.0. As service packs has been released the DirectX version has been updated (8.1 on XP SP1?). There are as you mention standalone downloads of the DirectX and a web installer that updates 9.0c and previous versions. Exactly what updates there are to the 9.0c version I am not sure.

What you find in the prefetch folder is, in majority, part of Windows XP's "Application-Launch Prefetching". This is small files used to speed up the launch of an application. They contain information about what files different processes access, so that disk layout can be adjusted for optimal performance.

This means that whenever you run a new program there will be a small file created in the prefetch folder that "records" the aforementioned data. When you run the program in the future it will, hopefully launch a little quicker. All this is automatic and no user intervene is needed.

Since the files are created by the operating system when you launch an application, you do not want to copy the files in the prefetch folder.

DirectX is much more than the diagnose program dxdiag.exe. Burning the dxdiag will not give you the latest DirectX on your new install.

I do not know about a later version than 9.0c, and you will get that version with SP2. Maybe there have been some updates, but MS's not so good DirectX site do not mention exactly.

I think you will be fine with the DirectX version that comes with the Windows XP service pack 2 and most importantly any added security updates. Critical updates to DirectX are monitored together with other critical updates to Windows at Microsoft Update.

As an example the KB904706 update for DirectShow is needed for the 9.0c version.
    The MS security bulletin for the above update, MS05-050

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DirectX

Thank you Angus for your very informative reply.
    I knew dxdiag.exe was just a MS DirectX diagnostic tool but didn't know if I would have to download/install it after I upgrade to WinXP Pro.