Thread: New hard drive

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New hard drive

Question? If I take and make a complete copy or Image of my hard drive and copy or put it on a new hard drive, can I now take the first drive out and just put in the new drive and everything work as it did with the first drive? (of course, changing the new drive to master.)

thanks
    Michael

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New hard drive

Many HDs I've worked with in the past have come with software to do just this - take the original HD data, and transfer it to the new HD, before booting into the operating system. Western Digital's software has worked the best for me (for my employer) previously.

It's been a couple years since I've done this type of activity, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for you now.
    Christopher Baldrey

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If your question is "will it work?", the answer is "yes".

Windows operating systems do not need special drivers for hard drives, and Microsoft Activation hash algorithm values hard drive device as 7 bits - another words, changing the hard drive does not require Windows reactivation. Windows may prompt you to reboot on the first boot (when it recognizes a new hard drive) - that's it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

BTW, you didn't say what software you're using for the imaging, but making a "clone" to the new hard drive makes it a one-step process, rather than two. From there on, yeah, change the jumpering and away you go.