2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

.Exe attachment (Outlook 2000 SP3)

I have asked someone to e-mail me an executable file, which has arrived as an attachment. But I can't get at it!

The Help screen identifies it as a Level 1 file, and explains that it will appear as an attachment in the Inbox listing, but it doesn't explain how to get at it, if it is from a "trusted" source.

Is there a workaround for this, or is Outlook being totally draconian?

Thanks

Neil

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: .Exe attachment (Outlook 2000 SP3)

Ask the sender to zip the .exe file - you should then be able to save the zip file and extract the .exe.

You could use Ken Slovak's free add-in Attachment Options to modify the list of Level 1 file types, but I wouldn't recommend taking .exe out of Level 1.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Hans.

I did a quick search of the forums after posting - should have done this first, of course! - having decided that this probably a common problem.

The conclusion I had reached was:-

It was dumb to ask someone to e-mail me a .exe!

(I can't ask them to zip it, unfortunately, because they are now on holiday, and I need to use the file today, but I will do this in similar circumstances in the future).

I found Ken's Attachment Options (via the other thread), downloaded this, and got at my file (which I virus checked before running).

I've now moved .exe files back to Level 1 (in Ken's config screen).

I'm assuming I can now leave Attachment Options installed without compromising any existing security settings?

Many thanks for your help, as ever.

Neil

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Attachment Options is only a tool to manage the Level 1 list. Having it installed doesn't compromise security.