Lounger
    Thanks

Conditional Formatting (Excel 2003 SP2)

I am trying to use conditional formatting, but I want the cell that is to be formatted to look at another cell for it's conditions, rather than at itself. For example, if cell A:2 = 0.00, then I want cell A:1 to be conditionally formatted. Is this possible in Excel?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Conditional Formatting (Excel 2003 SP2)

Enter into the conditional formatting and change the "Cell Value Is" to "Formula Is". Your formula would be "=A2=0" (without the quotes)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Conditional Formatting (Excel 2003 SP2)

To add to what mbarron has just stated, you need to first select cell A1, then go to Format>Cond Formatting.

The reason for this is that you are trying to format cell A1.

In addition if you want a RANGE of cells formatted in this fashion you need to first select the range and at the same time have the ACTIVE CELL where it should be.
    Examples:
    1. Suppose you want to format A1 through A100 depending on what is found in the cell immediately to the right (B1:B100). Select the range A1:A100 and at the same time make A1 the ACTIVE cell. Then enter in Cond Format>FormulaIS> =B1=YourCondition

2. Suppose you want to format A1 through A100 depending ONLY on the single cell B1. Do the same as above except make your formula absolute: =$B$1=YourCondition