Thanks

Cannot use a distribution list (Outlook 2003 SP-2)

At work we just migrated from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003 SP2. I used to be able to create my own personal Distribution Lists quite easily - from the Address book dropdown list select Personal Contacts and just create it there. And then to use it, create a new email and using the To: button go to my personal contacts list and select the distribution list. Send. Done.
    But now - and this may be specific to our company's installation, but I just don't know (I still use Office 2002 with XP Pro, so 2003 is completely new to me) I had a hard enough time figuring out how to just create a distribution list. And I cannot get them to work once I do. I'm just wondering if I'm missing some new step in the process, or if it really is my company's fault.
    In either Outlook or a new e-mail, I click on New ==> Distribution List, and the interface to create a distribution list comes up - at least that I still recognize, and I think the functionality there is still the same. Pick all the members from the Address Book (they are all in there), give the list a name, and click on Save and Close.
    Then (I think this is the right thing to do, but it isn't easy to find documentation on it) I go to my Contacts window, right-click on the Distribution List I just created, and select New Message to Contact. But when I send the email thus created, Outlook checks the addressee against the 'Global Address Book' here at work and doesn't recognize it, so it can't send the email.

I was on the phone this afternoon for about an hour with our illustrious helpdesk but they had no idea why it wouldn't work.
    (Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against helpdesks - I worked on one myself for 14 years - but not only did this one usurp mine simply through the connections that its manager had, and thus gained access to enormous resources that we were never offered - but even after 4 years into their existence they are still incompetent and unorganized, and of all things are constantly renaming themselves with ever more grandiose labels. They now want to be called the International IT HelpDesk. Because the word "international" is what will make them world-class.
    (Sorry about the rant - but they've been preening without reason for 4 years now and still don't realize that they are not taken seriously by anyone else in the company.

Anyway, my real reason for this post is to ask if these symptoms indicate that I'm not dealing with my distribution lists correctly in this version of Outlook - or if (most likely) I have a company-generated problem.
    Have a cookie -

Don

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot use a distribution list (Outlook 2003 S

Hi,

Don't know if this will help, but I have Outlook 2003 SP-2 (recent upgrade as well), and this is how I created a distribution list without any problem.

From Contacts, I just chose New and then Distribution List.
    Once the Select Members box opened up, I had to switch to our Global Address list, since mine is set to default to contacts.
    I chose myself and a coworker from the Global List to create a short distribution list called "Group." Clicking OK saved it to my Contacts.
    Then I went back to Contacts and right-clicked on it to send a "New Message to Contact."

It worked without any problem. I wanted to test your issue because most of my distribution lists are contacts not in the corporate address book - but I had no problem.

Hope this works for you - or at least now you know it's company specific. I came across your problem because I'm having my own issue with Outlook 2003.

And I understand completely - our Help Desk was farmed out a couple of years ago. The new one is usually referred to as the "Helpless" Desk.

Regards,

John

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot use a distribution list (Outlook 2003 SP-2)

I'm guessing that your DL is created in your Contacts folder, but your default location for addresses is the GAL.

See if it helps to apply the second and third steps in <!post=this Star Post,334705>this Star Post<!/post> to your Contacts Folder.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Re: Cannot use a distribution list (Outlook 2003 SP-2)

JFD,
    I 've been able to get as far as seeing the dist. list in my Contacts folder, but then I right-click on it and try to send a message, Outlook automatically tries to resolve it from within the corporate Global Address Book, and since it isn't there the mail can't be sent.

John, that thread you linked to is exactly what I needed! It restored the Contacts option in the address book dropdown list that I had been using in Outlook 2000.
    Many thanks to everyone - including jscher2000 - for this fast and excellent solution!
    Have a cookie -

Don