4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disable IE (XP Home SP2)

I have a small home network. I am setting up a new PC with 600 GB storage space on it which will be used for remote storage, back-ups etc and nothing else. I plan to hide it physically as well, so it is yet another layer of security if burgled.

Anyway, I want to prevent this PC from running IE (it will still have firewall, virus & spyware protection), but again I feel safer if IE can never run. I plan to updtae signature files manually. on a weekly basis.

I've used Add/Remove programs to remove Internet Explorer from the start menu & desktop, but this of course does not remove the prog. I cannot see what I would use under Connections to disable it (I still need network access for files etc).

Any other suggestions would be welcome

Ta

Colin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disable IE (XP Home SP2)

What firewalls do you have on your network?

You could disable all outgoing requests to port 80, either on a local software firewall, or on the router firewall if it has the capability to do that for just one PC.

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have a very basic hardware firewall (for inbound traffic) in my Belkin router. Not sure if I can disable ports for individual PC's, but I'll have a look in the manual.

The PC I am going to use for my storage PC is running ZoneAlarm free version. I've just set it up following your reply to disallow Internet explorer from accessing the internet.

If I disable all outgoing requests to port 80 would that prevent me from letting Spy, Virus & firewall progs from updating? I was thinking it would be easier to let them update automatically.

Thanks

Colin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>If I disable all outgoing requests to port 80 would that prevent me from letting Spy, Virus & firewall progs from updating?<hr>
    Quite probably, depending on the particular program and how it is written, many use Port 80 because that is often the most likely way to get through firewalls.

StuartR