3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Index (Word 2003)

I am trying to help a professor with a book he needs published. Many problems - The most pressing is the index. He has an original part of the book which had an index but he copied and pasted parts of 5 separate files into this one big file. I try to create the index, but the new file (after all the cutting and pasting) contains only two marked pieces of text for the index. Is there a way to copy the index from one file, into a new file and have the text marked with the corresponding page numbers (not the page numbers in the old file because they obviously would not be correct in the newer,larger file). I would have to go in and mark the new text he wants included but I was hoping to avoid having to mark again the text that has already been marked in the old version.

Is this possible?
    thanks
    Melanie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Index (Word 2003)

If you copy text from a document with words marked for the index (XE fields), and paste it into another document, the XE fields should come with it. Except, of course, if you paste as plain text.

If somehow, the XE fields have not been transferred, there is no point in copying the index from the source document into the target document - if you don't update it, it'll display the page numbers from the source document, and if you update it, all entries that don't correspond to a marked word will disappear. You really need the markings.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you have the old file's index then you could use that to create a 'concordance file' which can then be used to automatically tag the document with index entries (XE fields).

Have a look in the online help for 'concordance' to see if this will give you a quick fix to the problem.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much for this information - it is working well except for a problem that I cannot figure out. About half of the original index appears correctly after I following the instructions on the online help. The other part of the index only reveals the page numbers. I go to the pages with the fields and I find the words that are to be included in the index. Everything looks fine - the fields are indicated the same as in the part of the index which displays correctly.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thank you
    Melanie

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Without seeing the file it is hard to work out what the problem is.

Have you used a multi-level index or is everything at level one (ie is there more than one style in the Index?)
    Is there more than one index field?
    Did you run the concordance file only once? You don't want to run it twice or you will double-up in the index.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the information. I will go back and look at the concordance file.

The index is just one level (one style).

One more question - this professor wants to know the best way to start a new book from scratch. I explained to him how to use styles and to try to keep the styles to a minimum. (he had at least 30 different styles in the book I am helping him with, he really only need about 5) I also showed him how to mark text for the index and how to generate a table of contents based on chapter/title heading styles. Does anyone know if the publishing companies have any templates for Word for creating text books? I would think there has to be something out somewhere??

Thanks
    Melanie

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have no experience with publishing textbooks, but it would be advisable for your Professor to check with the particular publishers he's planning on submitting the manuscript to. Many publishers require plain text submissions, so all that work in setting up an index would be for naught. I don't index my manuscripts, but I prefer to format to my own preferences, and then convert to plain text (or whatever other requirements the publisher has) only on submission, making sure that I save the revised document as a new name.
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

New Lounger
    Thanks

We have found that this could be caused by the sequential (main Index) code being incorrect or the page numbering.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you - I will check out the page numbering.