Bronze Lounger
    Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

Privacy warning (2003 SR-2)

I tried to save a letter template (with name and address as part of it, incidentally), when I received a 'Privacy Warning'. 'This document contains macros, ActiveX controls, XML expansion pack information, or Web components. These may contain personal information that cannot be removed' etc. I'm swamped, and I want it immediately.

It contains a lot of things, but I want it to write letters that will be sent as attachments in PDF format, whereby I will presumably lose all of that baggage in any case. I would, however, be interested to have a breakdown of what to worry or not worry about.

Plutonium Lounger

Re: Privacy warning (2003 SR-2)

You may receive this warning if you have ticked the check box "Remove personal information from this file on save" in the Security tab of Tools | Options...
    When you save the document, Word tries to remove all metadata that may contain personal information from the document, such as who edited the document, the author of comments etc. Howver, it has no way to check if the items mentioned in the warning contain personal info. This need not be a problem, unless it is absolutely essential that the document is in no way attributable to you.