Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Workgroup access permissions (SP2)

Stuart

One question before trying:

in the following instruction does $ require a substitution or should I enter IPC$ as it is, perhaps $ is a wildcard?
    NET USE PC1IPC$ /user:username

Garth

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

IPC$ is a special connection, it stands for Interprocessor Communication. It is the connection that is used when you want to browse for file shares, but here we are just using it to test the connection, so that we can test connectivity to the remote system without having to connect to any particular shares.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

I entered the sequences of instructions and received the following responses, arranged in the 5 blocks that you used:

1. There are no entries in this list

2. I saw the folders that I had designated as shared on PC2.

3. System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found.

4. Garth Swanson(my user name on PC1) , 127.0.0.1 , Windows, 0(open files), 13.56 (conn time), 13.56(idle time), no(Guest)

5. laptop(the name of PC1)

Printer print Epson.....
    SharedDocs disk
    SharetestL disk (a folder that I had designated as shared on PC1)

The command completed successfully.

I hope this helps you.

Garth

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, this is all helpful stuff, except for the mistake of mine. the last command should have been
    <UL><LI>On PC1:<UL><LI>NET VIEW PC2[/list][/list]It looks as though PC1 cannot translate the name of PC2 into a network address. Do you know the IP address of PC2? If not then please can you find it by typing IPCONFIG into a command window on PC2 and look for the line that starts IP Address, note the numbers (x.y.z.a)

Now try
    <UL><LI>On PC1:<UL><LI>NET VIEW x.y.z.a (replacing x.y.z.a with the IP address from above)[/list][/list]If this works then we know that we have a name to address translation problem, if it doesn't then we still have a permissions problem.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I ascertained the ip address from ipconfig and entered the corrected command on PC1:

It gave the following:

System error 53 has occurred.
    The network path was not found.

Garth

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting.

What happens if you type the command
    <code>PING x.y.z.a</code>
    On PC1 (where x.y.z.a is the IP address of PC2).
    This will check that that PC1 has IP network connectivity to PC2

Also can you try issuing the command
    <code>NET VIEW PC2</code>
    on PC2, this will check that PC2 is able to accept requests to list its shares

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Workgroup access permissions (SP2)

This is a continuation of the discussion started at <post:=586,883>post 586,883</post:>. I split this into a new thread so that people on dial up lines would not have to load a ridiculously long thread. StuartR

garth,

Thanks for your courteous response.

I can suggest a couple more ideas that would work on XP Pro, but I can't promise that they will work on XP Home.

Assuming that PC1 is trying to connect to a share on PC2...
    <UL><LI>On PC1:
    <UL><LI>Open a command window
    <LI>NET USE * /DELETE (this just disconnects all shares that you have mapped on other computers)[/list]<LI>On PC2:
    <UL><LI>Right click my computer<LI>choose manage<LI>open Shared folders on the left pane<LI>click Shares<LI>make sure you see the share you want to connect to[/list]<LI>On PC1:
    <UL><LI>NET USE PC1IPC$ /user:username (use the correct PC name instead of PC1 and the correct username)
    <LI>Provide your password if asked[/list]<LI>On PC2:
    <UL><LI>Click on Sessions in the left hand Computer Management Pane, look to see if PC1 is connected and what username it is using[/list]<LI>On PC1:<UL><LI>NET VIEW PC1[/list][/list]Let me know if you get any errors and what output you see.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

I tried the netview on PC2 and all the shares are listed for that machine.

Before saying more, I can say that everytime I had previously used the ping command from both machines to each other it has worked perfectly. However this is no longer the case. The behaviour of both machines is identical: 4 repetitions of "request timed out" and 4 sent, 0 received and 4 lost.

Just to compound the confusion I still see the laptop(PC1) networked resources from PC2 and can access them, also the command (IP of PC1) still works from the browser of the desktop(PC2).

Garth

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

It might be of use to you to know that when I tried netview from PC1 to PC2 it responds with:

System error 5 has occurred.

From PC2 to PC1 shows the shared resources on PC1.

Garth

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> 4 repetitions of "request timed out" and 4 sent, 0 received and 4 lost

We know that there is physical network connectivity, because PC1 can access resources on PC2, so this suggests that there is a Firewall preventing some accesses.
    We know that PC2 is serving it's resources because the local Net View works properly

Do you have a hardware firewall anywhere on your network?
    Does either PC have a software firewall?
    Have you EVER used a different software firewall on either PC?

The reason for the last question is that we have seen symptoms like this caused by an incomplete de-installation of ZoneAlarm in the past.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the error is definitely "System error 5", and not "System error 53", then this still looks like a permission error on PC2. See for example this Microsoft article or this discussion.

Unfortunately I don't know how to change the permissions on a share from Windows XP Home edition. Can you verify that the username that you are using is absolutely definitely the same, with the same password, on both PCs, and that this username and password combination works correctly for a local login on both PCs.

Was this system upgraded from Windows 98 or Windows ME? According to <!mskb=304040>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 304040<!/mskb>
    <hr>Remote users may receive an "Access Denied" message on a share that they had connected to successfully before. This behavior occurs after the hard disk is converted to NTFS. This behavior occurs on Windows XP-based computers that have Simple File Sharing turned on that were upgraded from Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows Millennium Edition. This behavior occurs because the default permissions of a hard disk that is converted to NTFS do not contain the Everyone group. The Everyone group is required for remote users who are using the Guest account to access the files To reset the permissions, unshare and reshare the affected folders.<hr>
    I guess unsharing and resharing the affected folders is definitely worth trying, as is the cacls command I suggested before. The first of these should reset the permission on the share, and the latter should reset the permissions on the files and folders. You need to allow Everyone access to both of these.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

Thanks for your 2 messages I think we are getting near to the root of the problem. It was definitely error message 5, not 53.

In using net view from PC1 I encountered the system error 1385. With some digging I discovered that this can arise when log-in names are not recognised.

In using the DOS commands on the two machines I realised that the last word before the prompt is the user name. This appeared correctly on PC2(where all is well) but wrong on PC1, the laptop, where it appeared as "default". In fact when one logs in to Windows as a user "default" does not appear on the initial screen that welcomes users. I log in as Garth Swanson and this is the user name that I used on both machines to set up the shares. Default was a user name in the distant past. So it is odd that Garth Swanson does not appear in the DOS prompt.

Furthermore in a list of users that I was able to find on PC1 using System properties/Advanced/User profiles I was not able to find user Garth Swanson but Default was there as well as two other users.

So despite me logging in as Garth Swanson the machine behaves as if am user "default."

I think this must be the central problem and I do not know how to remedy it.

To answer the question about the history of the machines, they were supplied as new with the XP Home OS and I added SP2. Recent tests that I have made show that the same pattern of behaviour occurs whether I remove all software fire walls or leave the Windows version installed on both or leave the paid for Panda version in place. I conclude from this that it cannot be a firewall problem. I am not aware of any hardware firewall.

I think I have to get this user name sorted out first, then at least it could be recognised as valid by the desktop when I attempt to access shared material on it. PC2 is confused when PC1 offers "default" to it and it expects Garth Swanson, I believe.
    It then says that the applicant for service does not have permission to log on, error messages 5 and 1385 are consistent with this.

How can the "default" user be removed or renamed when it does not appear in the Control Panel User Accounts window?

Regards

Garth

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

garth,

The text you see in the DOS prompt is not necessarily the username. It simply shows the current default directory. This does however suggest that the user profile may be a bit problematic. Best guess is that the user account has been renamed sometime in the past.

Just as an experiment can you try creating a completely new username on both systems, with the same password. Make it a nice simple username with no spaces and 6 to 8 characters, for example Testnet. Then log in to both systems with this username, then try and see if everything works. If it does then we can try and sort out the problem with your old username.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

I am not sure if this is a step forward but it did not work I am afraid.

In doing this I created new users on each machine albeit with different names and without passwords. I soon discovered that ordinary users cannot use the Network Wizard to create new workgroups. This is a consequence of having worked on both machines as administrator.

I then switched the administrator role to the newly established users on each machine. With this I set up a completely new work group. As before I can see and use the shared resources from the laptop on the desktop but not the otherway round. An attempt to access the desktop from the laptop generates the same old error message.

Net view from the laptop to the desktop gives error message 5 as before.

In short, nothing has changed. It was reassuring to find that the DOS prompts are consistent with the new user names.

I am concerned that all ping tests between the machine failed, despite the desktop being able to access resources on the laptop.

Does this help at all, I am perplexed!

Regards

Garth

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

Just to make the experiment exactly as you suggested I did it again with identical user names and passwords on the two machines with exactly the same result, I am afraid.

Garth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast