Thanks

Jump back/forth from Excel (2003)

I'm fairly new to PPT (can do basic animations, simple stuff) and would like suggestions on methods to simplify a task I have at work.

1. From PPT, have slides that itemize a given project's action items (like 'complete taskA', 'write reportB').
    2. To view the extra details of 'complete taskA' (for example), click something and open an Excel file and go directly to that task's details (the details are some row in Excel on some sheet).
    3. Click something else, and return to PPT where you left off on that slide.

Things I've tried:
    1. PPT comments (ugly looking and not dynamic - can't link to an Excel named range)
    2. Add action button that jumps to a named range in Excel (this works but still it's not my ideal solution as I'd prefer to keep it all in PPT)

How about a hidden slide that I can navigate to (via action buttons) which would contain a table (?) that is auto-linked to the respective Excel sheets (or rows w/in a sheet which have a name assigned)?

The Excel file would have many cols of data for a given ask (hence the details), but the PPT slide is an overview of the project so each bullet is just a few words. I know Excel VBA quite well but not PPT VBA and since the eventual user of this 'tool' is not a programmer I prefer to not deal with any code.

Any ideas?
    Deb

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Jump back/forth from Excel (2003)

Looking at the PowerPoint help files I have found the following that may help but it does not allow for going directly to a specific place in the workbook

<font color=blue>Create a linked or embedded Excel chart from an existing file</font color=blue>

Click in the text box of the item where you want to place the linked object or embedded object.
    On the Insert menu, click Object.
    Click Create from file.
    In the File box, type the name of the file you want to create a linked or embedded Excel chart from, or click Browse to select from a list.
    To create a linked object, select the Link check box.
    Note When you create a linked (linked object: An object that is created in a source file and inserted into a destination file, while maintaining a connection between the two files. The linked object in the destination file can be updated when the source file is updated.) or embedded object (embedded object: Information (object) contained in a source file and inserted into a destination file. Once embedded, the object becomes part of the destination file. Changes you make to the embedded object are reflected in the destination file.) from an existing Microsoft Excel workbook, the entire workbook is inserted into your slide. Only one worksheet is displayed at a time. To display a different worksheet, double-click the Excel object, and then click a different worksheet.

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)