3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Another booting problem with XP (SP2)

Hope I'm not climbing on the bandwagon ;-). I've have a booting problem in that my computer sometimes freezes fairly early on during the process (blue boxes stop moving in the initial graphic). I then have to turn the machine off and on at the power point before restarting. This can happen up to, say, four times until the machine boots successfully. However, sometimes the PC just boots fine from scratch. Be grateful for any help (as you will probably have already guessed, my level of knowledge is only that of an average user).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Another booting problem with XP (SP2)

To solve your problem, first try to do usual cleaning and maintenance. Click Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Cleanup. Clean up all unnecessary files, but DO NOT use "Compress old files" option!
    Then check your hard drive: click Start | Run, type
    chkdsk /f
    and hit Enter. Confirm your choice on popup window and restart your computer.
    Next defragment your hard drive. Click Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Defragmenter, select your C: drive and click Defragment button.

If it does not solve your problem, it is most likely a problem with drivers. Open Device Manager (click Start | Run, type
    devmgmt.msc
    and hit Enter) and look for for red X or yellow exclamation signs. If you see any, please post here all details.

Please keep us inform about results.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much indeed for the welcome and your help. I have cleaned, checked and defragged the disk in the past, but never consecutively in the logical order you suggest. All 3 processes were successful this time, and running device manager immediately afterwards did not result in any red or yellow exclamation marks. I'll try the machine for a few days and tell you whether the problem resurfaces.

All the best

Nick

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, attempted rebooting this morning failed twice, so problem still there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have any events related to this problem in Event Viewer (Start | Run, type EVENTVWR and hit Enter) under System?

Is the problem persists when you start in Safe Mode (How?)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks once again for the continuing tutorial :-) It's very good of you.

Event Viewer:
    There are warnings and errors under System:
    Today (24/07) there was one yellow warning (Dhcp)
    Yesterday there were 8 red errors (Services Control Manager) and 4 yellow warnings (Dhcp)
    I tried to attach attached the log (System.evt), but unfortunately the file was too big to be accepted by the Lounge.

Safe Mode
    Safe mode booted up fine, but I've only tried it once so far.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Please double-click all error events one by one and post event descriptions - otherwise it is impossible to say anything about the nature of the problem.

DHCP warnings usually mean that your computer was unable to reach DHCP server and obtain or renew the IP address. Since your problem is not a network connection problem, you can ignore these warnings (it may be simply the consequences of your problem).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've attached a Word file with all of the error event descriptions for the last 3 days.

There have been severe teething problems with the changeover in the UK from 2Mbps to 8Mbps ADSL, including periods when it was impossible to connect. I presume quite of few of the errors are related to this.

Don't know if this is relevant, but up until a few weeks ago I had this computer connected to the router of another PC supposedly acting as the host of a network of these two. The network never worked properly (for example, 2nd PC could never see the printer). I'm now using the remaining PC entirely standalone, but it may well have some residual network settings. The boot failure problem started quite some time ago, about last December, while the two PCs were supposedly networked.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Now the nature of your problem is clear.

You set your computer to connect to the network at startup and installed some programs (for instance, ZoneAlarm) to control this connection. Because your computer is disconnected from the network, some services are trying to find the connection, to connect to servers, register and update its programs at startup.

Connect to the Internet through another computer is a bad idea anyway. The best solution is to get a home router (at my home I use Netgear router) - you can buy one very cheap when they are on sale.

If you use this computer as standalone (not connected to the network), try to uninstall ZoneAlarm first and see what's happen.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't explain myself very well in regard to my "network". What I did was connect the "host" PC to one of the output ports of my router (Netgear 834G) and the "client" PC to another of these ports. However, I did try to set the two computers up as a network via both Windows and ZoneAlarm on both machines, and using just the connections to the router (ie no other connecting cables between the PCs). At present the "client" PC, which I'm now using as a standalone machine, still has entries under My Network Places: Local Networks has "Shared Docs on Heather's Tiny", and The Internet has "www.translation.plus.com" (ie my address under UK ISP called "PlusNet). Do I just delete these two files to get rid of the network setup, or is there a more logical procedure I should adopt? I then propose to uninstall ZoneAlarm and reinstall it from scatch. If I need to have two machines connected to the internet in the future can I just connect both to the router's ports without setting up a network and causing the sort of problems I've been experiencing?

Thanks very much once again, sorry about taking up so much of your time. I intend to purchase a new PC (this one is about 7-8 years' old) later this year or early next, and buy Woody's first book to come out on Vista instead of continuing to wallow in ignorance and letting a new machine get into the same deplorable state ;-)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Now your problem belongs to "Networknig Your Home" forum.

In brief: if you have a standalone router connected to ADSL modem, this router is acting as network and Internet server. Both your computers are acting as clients on your home network, so both suppose to be configured as such (not as "host" and "client"), exactly the same way and independently.

Try to reconfigure your network connection using Network Setup Wizard (Start | Control Panel | Network and Internet connections (in Category view only) | Set up or change your home and small office network). On step 3 of the Wizard select "Other" and on step 4 "This computer connects to the Internet directly or trough a network hub".

To make some folders on one computer "visible" from another, you have to "share" the folders. To do so, right-click the folder (or the drive) you want to share in Windows Explorer and from pop-up menu choose "Sharing and Security" (or Properties and then Sharing tab).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for all your help and regards

Nick