Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Zone Alarm Corruption

I run Zone Alarm (free) version 6.5.722.000 on this machine. Last evening I was preparing to do my weekly backup image. As usual, I emptied my recycle bin, Firefox cache, ran disk cleanup and finally chkdsk. Restarted the machine and chkdsk completed cleanly (I checked the log in event viewer). However, Zone Alarm had become munged to the point that it was starting all over again as an "un-trained" program. My zones were all gone as were all program permissions. Seeing no other system anomalies I continued on so I could get to the web to attempt to lookup a restoration solution. I had no idea where ZA stores its settings and preferences. I do now. In the Zone Labs forum I found out that <big>BACKUP.RDB</big> and <big>IAMDB.RDB</big> are the two settings files needed. It was suggested to one poster that he could delete the corrupt files in safe mode and they would be recreated on bootup. Since this would necessitate starting all over, it wasn't the solution for me as that's what had apparently already happened in my case. I went to my last image backup and restored the two files to a temp directory. After booting to safe mode I copied the restored files to their proper destination (C:windowsinternet logs) and I'm back in business. There you have it.

Thanks

Re: Zone Alarm Corruption

Al,
    Good information to keep in mind.
    Thanks.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

THANKS Big Al !!!

I have a batch file that puts critical configuration data in a common place on my HDD (I have responded to your <!post=Backup Strategies Post 588474, 588474>Backup Strategies Post 588474<!/post>). I have added these files to my data files subdirectory so I ensure incremental backups.
    Scott

Thanks

Now what's tvdebug.log for in C:WINDOWSInternet Logs? That sucker is 18MB on my system.

Thanks

Plenty of hits for it on Google, such as: techguy, a1-electronics, computergripes, CCleaner, etc...