Lounger
    Thanks

Change display settings before startup (XP Home)

Hi
    I worked on somebody's PC using my monitor. I changed the display settings to suit my monitor, but after giving back the PC, the other persons monitor is not able to work on the display settings. Is it possible to change or reset the display settings before windows start. Hope someone can help.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Change display settings before startup (XP Hom

If the Display settings on your computer's monitor are higher than your friends computer's monitor, your friend will not be able to see the display.

You can try booting into safe mode (this usually sets the display at 800X600). Then change the settings to appropriate level, re-boot normally.

If this doesn't work for some reason, there is a Freeware program: STM 2.0 at http://www.safesite.com/product.php[id]61783[cid]303[SiteID]digibuy. You MIGHT need to boot into DOS (from a recovery disk, or old W98 Boot Disk).

The Publisher description is:

A DOS utility to set various standard text modes, including VESA modes. <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold">Runs in DOS and DOS boxes under Windows. </span hi> Sets several standard modes on VGA and VGA compatible systems (which is most modern vidoe cards).

Finally, you can always put your monitor back on your friends computer and reset the setting.

Good Luck !!!!
    Scott

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Frits,

BTB - I Always keep an DOS Boot disk handy for similar type situations. No matter what the computer, you can always boot to DOS. HOWEVER, pending on the file system, you can not always read the HDD.
    Scott

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Change display settings before startup (XP Home)

If you are able to edit the BOOT.INI file on the boot disk then you can add the switch /basevideo to the end of the boot string. This will cause the system to start with VGA, 256 colours, 600*480.

You may be able to do this from safe mode, or if there is a FAT file system you can boot from a DOS boot disk and edit the file.

Probably the easiest solution is to connect up your monitor again (or any other modern monitor) and modify the settings before shutting down.

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

StuartR,

I have found an old article that allows you to boot XP from Thumb Drive: Langa Letter: XP On Your Thumb Drive. I have not tried this but maybe good tool for Diagnostic Arsenal.
    Scott

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I always keep a copy of BartPE on a CD, but it might be even better to use a USB disk so that I can add tools when I need to.

StuartR