5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Info Path (2003)

Just discovered it - went through the little Microsoft site show me what it is trip - looks pretty nifty. Can anyone with any software use it? What's the deal - could I design a form and put it out there on the web and anyone with a computer could fill it out and use it?

Thanks again

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Info Path (2003)

Can anyone with any software use it?

No, you have to have Microsoft InfoPath 2003, Microsoft Office 2003 Professional or Enterprize edition to open InfoPath XML Document.

What's the deal - could I design a form and put it out there on the web and anyone with a computer could fill it out and use it?

Anyone with a computer can open XML source code. Your form will look like this:

------------------------------------------------
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><?mso-infoPathSolution PIVersion="1.0.0.0" solutionVersion="1.0.0.1" name="urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:infopathob:AbsenceRequest:1033" productVersion="11.0.6565" ?><?mso-application progid="InfoPath.Document"?><ar:absenceRequest xmlns:ar="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/infopath/2003/sample/AbsenceRequest" xmlns:my="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/infopath/2003/myXSD" xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en-us">
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is possible to fill it out finding appropriate tags and put data into it, but it will have no use.

For more information, see http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX010857921033.aspx

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for the info - can you tell me, then, what the heck is the big deal between designing a form using this and using Word if you have a clue? I'm guessing InfoPath must be "more sophisticated" - but useless to me because almost none of the 3000 people in my schoo district even know how to fill out a Word form.

Bummer

Again, thanks

aunt linda

Thanks

The purpose of InfoPath is to create a database-like application that uses XML as its native storage format. It was't intended to replace Access (and certainly not Word or Excel or VB), but to exploit a new niche that Microsoft believed would open up in the marketplace. I'm not sure there really has been much demand for it yet.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So basically it's worthless to most of us "regular" Office users.

Thanks for the info, though - I won't pursue it.

Have a great day

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

See InfoPath 2003 Product Information for the Microsoft viewpoint.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Joe - but that's where my interest was piqued in the first place - I'm just going to forgot I have it - since no one else I work with could possible use it.

You have a really good day - and, again - thanks!

Aunt Linda