Star Lounger
    Thanks

ChangingDateFields to Text (2000)

I have a couple of date fields in format dd/mm/yyyy and am putting them into a transform area where they should be ddmmyyy -have tried putting in an input mask but can't seem to get rid of the pesky slashes no matter what I do. Can anyone help??

Thanks everybody.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ChangingDateFields to Text (2000)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

An input mask is for data entry. If you want to change the way the fields are displayed, set the Format property of the fields or of the text boxes bound to them (on a form or report) to ddmmyyyy. The slashes will still be displayed when you edit a date, though - otherwise, Windows won't recognise the date.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah! thanks - lightbulb switches on. Lovely application this Access thingy!

Ina

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans, Spoke too soon, tried changing the format in both the underlying table and the incoming data fields to ddmmyyyy, but didn't have the desired effect - any other suggestions?

Ina

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Changing the format in a table will have no effect on the format in already existing queries, forms and reports - you'd have to apply the same format there. New queries, forms and reports will inherit the format from the table unless you explicitly specify otherwise.

In your original post, you mentioned "putting them into a transform area". I'm not sure what you meant by that. Could you explain?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, what I'm trying to do is punt out date fields in an Access database into an Excel "transform" area, for upload for a data migration to a new system - the date fields from Access need to be output automatically as ddmmyyyy and I can't get it to play nicely! I did apply the same format to the old tables and queries, but it still doesn't seem to work.... Should I perhaps be looking at some code to remove the "/" element of the text, and if so, could you give me some help with that? Many thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try this: create a query, and add a calculated field (column) for each date field:

FormattedDate1: Format([DateField1],"ddmmyyyy")

Export the query to Excel. The result will be text instead of a real date. (You must substitute the correct field names, of course)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yup! That works. Thanks a lot!

Ina