Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Saving Images (6.0 SP1)

If I right click on an image on a webpage and select Save Picture As from the popup menu, it saves the image as untitled.bmp. However, when I open the .bmp file it looks like the attached. I can copy the same image and paste it into PaintShop Pro and it looks fine. I thought I had seen this before and it was caused by something in the temporary internet files cache, so I have cleared that. It didn't help. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Legare Coleman

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: Saving Images (6.0 SP1)

There's an old problem where IE stops properly recognizing image formats and suggests that everything is a BMP. The old cure was to empty the cache (Temporary Internet Files). I can't recall anyone reporting that the image itself was a mess when it opened... perhaps if you rename it to its original file extension (JPEG? GIF?) you might get better results??

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that is the problem which I remember and it is why I tried clearing my cache. IE does not fail to recognize the format of all images. For example, if I go to a page where I know that the image files are .jpg, it recognizes those as .jpg and with the correct filename. I don't know what the original format of the ones that are getting messed up was, but changing the file extension to .jpg, .gif, or .htm does not work. PaintShop Pro then says it can't open the file.
    Legare Coleman

Thanks

I think perhaps there is something on that particular page interfering with grabbing the image. Perhaps you can isolate it somehow, such as opening the direct URL to the image. I forget the details for IE because I have mostly used Firefox for the past 2 years. Does IE have a right-click "View Image" option? Does IE have anything like Firefox's "Page Information" dialog with a Media tab to let you "Save As" any images in the page?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It is more than just this one page, it is quite a few pages and almost all images that I get in emails (opened in Outlook). If I right click on this particular image, and select Properties from the popup, then it shows the file as a .jpg with a real name (not "untitled"). However, after saving the file, I can't change the name to .jpg and open it. It does not happen on all pages however, there are some where I can right click and save the image as a .jpg file.
    Legare Coleman